The Combine Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
As the original poster, I have no problem with this thread going in the direction of anyone's engine or other catastrophic failures.
If you tell your stories here it may save someone else of the same fate...

Such as kevthi's story above.... so many augers engines have the dual drain plugs and yes nobody uses the "other one" but next time you do an oil change as much of a pain it can be to get to, make sure its tight... only gotta do it once... but that could save you thousands.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Only in California can you be that stupid. What a waste and no wonder California is broke.
That and the cash for clunkers program in the US. That's the reason you can't buy economical used cars anymore. Course it really helped the car dealerships... they now make a ton of money on high-priced used car sales.

·
Registered
405 Posts
That and the cash for clunkers program in the US. That's the reason you can't buy economical used cars anymore. Course it really helped the car dealerships... they now make a ton of money on high-priced used car sales.
Same with the rebates/trade in programs for precision ag equipment?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
That cash for clunkers scenario came to my realization a couple years ago and so it applies to tractors too. When your kid is looking for their first cheap used car the herd has been thinned out after such a program. So now you have to look at spending a little more. Similar to an insurance company that is quick to write off a vehicle rather than fix it - why does the insurance company have a metric to say they can give you $5000 to fix vehicle A but not vehicle B. It's your insured vehicle, it should be fixed, not make the owner jump through hoops after the insurance company said they are washing their hands of your insured property.

I follow what Anvil is doing here. I like seeing guys experiment and relate back how things went. My guess is that rod journal is a bit out of round and will need more than a polish. But the big picture is it does me a favor if that tractor is back to useable condition with a rebuild once the playing is done. One more older unit in the pool for use is better than one less sent to scrap with tax payer paid funding.

·
Registered
713 Posts
As far as horror stories go, our 4640 that my grandpa bought nearly new back in the '80's had the oil drain plug fall out. Not sure how as he was extremely meticulous, but he didn't tighten the oil plug. The oil plug fell out when someone else was running it and it ran until it seized. He pulled it to the shop, dropped the pan, and rolled a set of bearings in it (somehow it seized without galling the crank or block).

It is still hard at work for us with the same engine that has never been opened up since. Oil samples come back perfect and it has great oil pressure.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts