The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The horizontal swinging auger, the main top bushing, ours has tons of play and is jumping into the cradle when retracting.

Has anyone replaced this? Just want to know if i can do this in a morning by supporting the end of the auger and just lifting the top plate in the grain tank, and swapping the bushing, or if we should wait until after beans if the whole **** auger has to come off (we just did a new inner horiz. auger due to stripped splines), and the vert. auger bearings.)

Also, when these bushings wear, do they take the pin with it (that i guess is probaby built onto the 90* bend of the tube? Dont want to get it torn down for a quick fix if its likely that it needs much more in depth work.

9860 sts, with the large auger. 2100engine hours

· Registered
778 Posts
I've replaced these bushings. Just leave the auger in the retracted position and remove all the bolts holding the top plate/frame. A couple of the bolts have to be removed under the grain tank and above the rotor skin. This is easier with 2 guys. Lift the top frame out and replace the bushings and slide back together.

· Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've replaced these bushings. Just leave the auger in the retracted position and remove all the bolts holding the top plate/frame. A couple of the bolts have to be removed under the grain tank and above the rotor skin. This is easier with 2 guys. Lift the top frame out and replace the bushings and slide back together.
Awesome. Exactly what i needed to hear. thank you

· Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i replaced the top bushings after this original post. Not a bad job at all really.

However, the next year, 2015, after only 1000acres or so of soybeans and then wheat, i noticed play in the top joint again. Upon inspecting, the lower pivot ring was also worn out (greasable metal on metal). So this time we removed the entire unloading auger, found cracks in the charge housing, welded and braced them up, converted the lower pivot to the new style plastic wear plates, new cast ring, three retaining plates, new top bushings and housing. We also had a machinist build up the ball joint with a welder, and grind it back down to a sphere (he did a **** good job).

I then adjusted the cradle to lift the auger ever so slightly at fully retracted, so that i knew it held weight.

Exactly one year and only 2700 acres harvested, and the top joint is wore slam out again, as well as bottom plastic plates. So far the charge housing shows no cracks.

What the **** is wrong with this thing? Am i the only one that is having this much trouble?

It is the larger 17" auger, im not sure of length, but i know deere is now offering much longer ones. Are they better supported?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.