The Combine Forum banner

unplugging tool 9600, 9610

13K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  nig71 
#1 ·
Wondering if anybody has made a tool to turn the pulley on the cylinder that can make a full revolution? Pictures of the tool would be nice, we have a bar to place in the holes of the pulley, wondering if there is a better way

#2 ·
I have never seen or used a tool for this, but was thinking that one was really needed a few weeks ago when I stopped up our 9600 while running too late in some wet beans trying to get the field finished before the rain that night. Needless to say it was plugged good. Got a good friend thats a JD mechanic and he showed up and showed us a good way to get the cylinder turned backwards. He had me lower the head and remove the door on top of the feederhouse in front of the cylinder. We parked a truck in front of the combine and put a large come-along on the hitch of the truck. Then ran a chain from there, thru the reel and up the feederhouse and over the 4x4 we had laid across the feederhouse where the door would go. (to keep from bending the top of the feederhouse) Ran the chain down and all the way under the cylinder and attached the chain hook to the rasp bar as far back as we could reach. Tighten the chain up and start ratcheting the come-along. This may sound drastic to some, but it was plugged so tight that the truck would slide at times. After a few times, the wad a wet beans finally dropped out the bottom. I have plugged it in the past, but nothing near as bad as this. I knew better...but o well.....$*it happens. Buddy said he has done this procedure many times over the years.

#3 ·
There was a guy that made such a tool and sold them. Not sure if he is still in business. But his I believe had a 12 Volt winch mouted in there somehow. You would attach this 'tool' to the side of the cylinder pulley, attach the winch and give'r till the winch slack was gone, then repeat until the slug was cleared.

A neighbor of ours had one on their 9600. This was quite a few years back, so I do not remember much other then what I have told you.

For our 9610 we made an ugly wrench type tool, that is about 3 feet long, then did the chain to a truck thing. It worked, and luckily we never used it again. It was pretty crude. I will see what I can dig up on this other guys invention.

#6 ·
ive done basically the same thing before but on the pulley that drives the cylinder. put a chain on the back side of bull hooked into one of the spokes, run it down the bottom of the pully and forward toward your truck. had it choked so bad once i had to rock it back and forth several times to get it out, but works great

#7 ·
The above methods sound like alot of work to me. We made a tool that fit into the holes on the side of the cylinder and most of the time two people could turn it back, but occasionally someone would really plug it and we would just use a loader to lift the bar and reverse the cylinder. Worked everytime.

#8 ·
well iv used a 6' bar also that slides into the slots on the cylinder pully, but sometimes it does not work. it workes for most small plugs. For major plugs i used a 10 ton hydraulic body & frame repair kit. http://www.princessauto.com/tools/auto-r....ame-repair-kit. I guarantee i can undo any plug in 45 min or less with this jack kit..... Drop rock trap and the 4 bolts on the 6" panel above it. and place the jack on the wheel drive housing below. using the different sized extentions contacting the rub bars. jack it up wards and clynder spins backwards. Workes great for beater plugs. but you have to in on the walkers.

#9 ·
made a similar bar for a cts11 the other day , can take two people to push it up but is really effective if you take the extra time to put the drive in neutral again and start the seperator and reverse the front a second time to clear the mouth of the concave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.