The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our first run in with the electrical on our 2188 today. Went to speed up the rotor, and nothing happened. We can slow it down all we want, but it will not speed up. Called our service guy and he said to look at the limiter switches, which can get bent. Those were fine. 30 amp fuse in position #13 is fine. Ran a diagnostic with a multimeter at the connector to the motor, and have power both directions, depending on how the rocker switch is moved. We figured it must be the gear head motor. Changed it out with the fan speed motor figuring the problem was solved. The fan motor now does the same thing as the rotor speed motor did, but the rotor speed motor works just fine as a fan speed control. Go figure. So its not the gear head motor. I am wondering if there isn't a poor ground of some kind preventing movement to increase rotor speed. Took a look at the rocker switch itself, but there are too many pins to do just a basic diagnostic test. Checked the parts that involve the speed control to see if any were seized or tight- nothing like that at all. The parts move freely both directions. Has anyone had a problem like I am describing? If so please share what you did to get the problem rectified. I am stumped on this one.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: 2188 Rotor Adjustment Motor Trouble- Need Adv

We had this happen once. It was a bad limit switch try switching the two limiters to see if the problem reverses

·
Registered
50 Posts

I just came from my dealer's service clinic and this topic was discussed, if your rotor speed decreases just fine but won't increase it is the upper limit switch. First try pushing the switch and listen for it to click and then check for build up behind the little arm.

·
Registered
561 Posts

The limit switches switch the ground so you need to test them vs a pos 12v. Put both wires under one screw and see if it works, that will bypass your switch for testing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Ok, here is the update on what we learned. We had a few issues going on at the same time. The one reed switch was actually faulty not making contact every time, even though it made a definite "click" when pressed. We replaced both of those, and still nothing. Turns out we had a broken wire inside the insulation that was connected to the reed switch about 2" from the switch. If it was held just right then the motor would work, otherwise-nothing. It appeared to have been damaged at some earlier point. The only way you could tell was by the feel of the wire when you moved it. It felt like there was a weak spot there. Once that was fixed, we still did not have enough power in the motor to turn the sprocket and sheaves. (yes we had the seperator engaged when doing this) Finally got fed up and called the CIH mechanic out. His fix after checking things out was to jump on the belt to physically spread the sheaves. He then held the belt while we reeled the motor in. He claimed that the last guy who had this unit failed to run the rotor speed up and down to the limits at least once a week in harvest, and it packed full of dust and crap, preventing the motor from turning the sheaves. He advised doing this at least once a week or more often, to keep everything moving. He also said to do it in 3-4 steps with a one minute break inbetween, rather than trying to run it up or down all in one cycle. Much easier on the little actuator motor.
I hope our experience posted here can help someone else out there.
Thanks to all who posted here to help me out!

·
Registered
255 Posts
grease the 2 bearings on each side of the big sprocket till grease comes out this will keep the sprocket housing lubed for easy adjustment once it is filled then you can decide on how much to grease it daily, once a week we run ours up-down then back to set, also keep chain lubed, good luck
ps thinking of puting a 2388 rotor gear box on our 2188 with the all hardware to change speed from platform mainly for the super low to unslug rotor anyone have any experience with this fit,TIA

·
Registered
159 Posts
Don't change to the three speed!!! I have had five boxes go out on our 2 2001 2388's and the last one we did we finally gave up and put in a 2 speed out of an old 1480. The gear box is the same size and will fit in there ok but they made the gears thinner and softer on the three speeds........They changed them again in 04 or 05 and I think they were better but I would advise to leave it alone. I got tired of changing one every year.

·
Registered
255 Posts
down here in rice counrty it's hard on gear boxes the 23's never have any trouble unless they don't check the oil in the box an they burn up never heard of one just failling but will ask around. thanks though for the info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts