The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Copied from NewAgTalk: We have had great success this year running the 23 and 2588 in soybeans. I put the 99 2388 on the corn head and after setting it up, went to the field. There is a very unusual noise that is coming at the front of rotor?/feederhouse? area that I can't track down. It only occurs when going at about 4+ mph in corn 8 row 150+ bpa corn. It only makes this noise when running a decent amount of volume in the combine. I can feel the noise on my feet at times. Sounds like a clank of metal on metal. It really sounds like the feeder chain jumping teeth, but the feeder chain is tight and we made it tighter but didn't help. Could it be the drive teeth are shot on the feederhouse??? I can't see any vanes loose in the cone. They have been replace and I welded to them even after I bolted them on. Combine has about 1700 sep hours and original feeder sprockets. I don't recall if I reversed them when I pulled the rotor a few hundred hours ago. I have also heard about the hex shaft wearing that drive the sprockets. I don't notice an effect on performance when I hear this noise. It can occur about every 2 seconds when pushing it, but not consistently every two seconds. It kind of sounds like a very big cogged slip clutch. I checked the concaves and they are secure on the left and right. Front rotor bearing, don't think so. It sounds like feederslats hitting something. Smooth as silk empty. What do you think. If I can't find it, I guess I will just run it until it breaks. Dad said it reminded him of the sound of corn when using the conventional gleaners back in the day. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: 2388 Noise in feederhouse area !?

I read where you don't think it is the rotor bearing, do that mean you have checked it! Heard similar noise in 08 when pushing it, turned out to be rotor bearing.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

How do you recommend me check it... Pry up through the concave? I put the rotor in medium and it still made the same noise at the same pace. It only started in corn and I am sure it won't make the noise in beans again. Sure sounds like feeder slats??? I will check the bearing though. How do you recommend? Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts

due you have field tracker check to make sure that the auger in the corn head is no hitting the slats on the feeder chain face angle might need changing proper distance between feeder chain slats and opening is 11/2 inches . If this is all OK make sure feeder drum is set to high position for corn if it is on low position or even middle in heavy corn at high speeds will drive the feeder drum to the high limit stop and make the sound you are talking about

·
Registered
102 Posts

There isn't a wad of corn stalks wrapped around one of the slats. I had that when doing sunflowers and it made the feeder drum bounce up and down every time it came around. I couldn't find the noise until I unhooked the header and ran the feeder and watched from outside. Before I found the problem I was tighting the feeder chain too to try and get it to quit.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming. Feeder slat distance is ok with faceplate. No wads wrapped around a slat. It sounds like every slat, maybe on one particular side, is hitting something. All looks good, only does it at maybe 4.5+ mph in 150 + corn=above average material. What could it be. Quit as could be running empty. Sometimes I can even feel the noise via my feet=metal on metal. Dad riding on ladder cant see an issue with top door open. Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts

If you have a stone trap it is the bats on the stone trap drum smacking the corn cobs. Our combine has always done that at 4-5 mph. I've never had any trouble, it's just really annoying. On our 1440 with the 4 bat drum in it really would make noise and really heat up the drive chain. You would have to oil twice a day.

·
Registered
116 Posts

We have a 08 2388 with no stone trap and we get a simillar noise which you can feel through your feet cutting wheat. No idea what causes it but slowing down or leaving a higher stubble fixes it so I figured it is an overload problem. This is now the limiting factor on the combine for us as losses are fine but we cut at a speed just before the rumble but that is about 30tonne/hr so not too unhappy

·
Registered
17 Posts

Could it be that your top sprocket teeth are hooked and when the chain gets really tight with a lot of volume it has a hard time letting go of the chain. Try loosening up the chain a little and see if that makes a difference

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

We have no stone trap. My mech. told me with the front drum in high position for corn, the chain should be to where you can almost fit your palm between the slat and floor somewhere in the middle. While doing this, the slat is already in the air, but tight enough that you can't raise it easily with your palm to fit through. Although I can run and hear this noise, it doesn't limit my capacity, it just doesn't sound good at all. How do I check the rotor bearing? Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts

When my rotor bearing was on it's way out and making a noise when pushing the combine the bearing was hot to the touch. It was so hot the smell of burning straw was strong also.

·
Registered
77 Posts

I would open the doors under the sprocket and see if there is slop between the sprocket and the shaft, Just did our 2388 and the hex in the sprocket was completely wobbled out on the right did, raplaced everthing, the new sprocket has set screws to hold it from wearing on the shaft.
Ours was making noise for a couple years, I found this while I was replacing the feeder house floor.

·
Registered
363 Posts

Don't know if this is your problem but we have a 2588 it is a 2008 model and we have had this same problem. What it is on our machine is when the crop is heavy the material pushes up the chain and the top of the chain rubs on the big brace that goes across the inside of your feederhouse. Like someone else has mentioned on this thread if you slow down it will stop. Our machine was real bad this year in 36' canola swaths yielding over 50 bpa. I complained to my territory rep and they put me in a new feeder chain and hard surfaced the under side of the brace in the feeder house. I guess long story short is either slow down or just learn to live with it.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Thats interesting Pureel. Our 08 2388 will be the same as your 2588 too much trouble to change number in EU. I could not find where noise came from but sounds like the same problem.

Was there much wear on chain and brace as you got new chain and brace up date?

Will check ours tomorrow. Any tips?

·
Registered
116 Posts

I checked ours this morning. The brace has three strips of metal welded on where chain rubs these have quite deep grooves worn into them where the chain is rubbing, nearly right through at the front. Chains dont look to have much wear perhaps just a little flat but only 200 hrs on combine and as I said we slow down when we hear the noise.

How does that compare with your situation pureel?

My other thought was if we have metal on metal contact like this will we get heat / sparks around dry straw?

Hardfaceing and a new chain dont sound like a fix to me.

·
Registered
363 Posts

What the dealer did was they pulled the feeder house off then cut out the plates on the brace as they were worn. They then put in new plates and hard surfaced them. I am sorry if I mislead you they did not hard surface the chain.
It has not really cured the problem the crop we harvested this year was a lighter crop so there was not much noise so no wear, that is until we hit the canola then the noise started up again. It was bad at 3.8 mph we slowed to 3.3 then it was better at 2.8 there was no noise at all. As for sparks or a fire never gave it much thought but we have had no problems yet.
Here is my take on the problem we have had 1680's on through to 2388's over the years. This 2588 has alot more power then our 03 2388 had so we can harvest at higher ground speed but as we all know the feederhouse is a limiting factor with this model combine so I think that is why we get the noise. I complained to CIH right from the start of the 08 harvest, the CIH "Pro Harvest" people tried several different things but finally said there was not much they can do. They put the feeder drum in the raised position and moved the blocks that hold the arms for the feeder drum up higher and that was it.
I know sort of long and a windy explanation but that is it.

·
Registered
363 Posts

Homefarm I have that silencer kit in my 2588 I also had it in my 2388. What it does is keep your chain tighter it takes the slack out of it. It won't quit making the noise but it is an excellent addition to extend the life of your feeder chain.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Update/Fixed: 2388 Noise in feederhouse area !

I did a power shut down today and saw a potential problem with the feeder slats hitting the bottom of the field tracker faceplate brace on top. I moved the front drum upper limit to the next tighter position. Sure enough, it fixed it. The slats would just rub the brace with alot of material going through. Now I am home, I see others have had this problem. Thanks for the help...better late than never. Thank You.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Thanks for that, pureel.

I would agree with your view. We to have gone from 89 1660 to92 2166to 98 2388 and now 08 2388 and the difference in output over the years is amazing helped by the new 2050vari header. So I was still happy even if the elevator was the limiting factor.

I am less happy now after seeing the wear on the brace after only 200hrs.

Have the new 88series been updated in this area?
I believe all the new 88s in the UK have a stonetrap so a bit difficult to check.

We had a stonetrap on our 2166 and bearing went causing fire only just managed to save combine.
Perhaps why worry about heat and sparks.

I would think replacable plasticwearstrips or some sort of roller would give a permanent fix

1 - 20 of 22 Posts