The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '77 L2 corn and soy special, and have been running a 15' series II flex and a 6RN corn head. She's been in the family since '80 and were thinking about a few updates to it. It's got the short shoe, and we notice a lack of cleaning capacity in corn, little bit in wheat too. If I managed to get a long shoe and seives from a late L2 or an L3 will it bolt in or did they change the frame to accommodate the longer shoe?

Need a new grain truck soon, government isn't to fond of my '70 Dodge 900 being on the road anymore, or at least the MTO (DOT) boys around here. Trouble is finding something low enough I can get the combine auger over. It already has a longer auger from an M but I could use a little more height and maybe a little length. If I put a stop on the swing cylinder to get a little more height will I be hurting the universal joint or can it take a little more angle? It's going to need a new tube, maybe an auger too, would adding a foot or two to the auger put too much stress on the swivel? I can brace it some if need be. Alot of the time I'm a one man show, so running everything through the buggy won't work for me.

Anyone know of any 20' series 3 flex headers in Ontario Canada or close to Ontario in decent shape, with my 30.5L32's I don't have enough room on my 15 series II for a blower, plus I'm driving too fast doing soys, 7-8 on the index on the hydrostat handle in second gear, would be nicer to drive slower and have more in the bin from one round.

I've been adding and or upgrading lights lately and I have the rubber boots for the pedals on order because of my athsma. I can't afford a new combine, but don't mind spending some too keep what I have running and in good shape.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
hey, all that matters is you have a hydro. :) I think i would take a L hydro over an L3 gear drive.

as far as the auger, the N series had an even longer one. I would highly sugggest making a substantial brace for the joint, and for the cradle if you go this route.

for the factory option long spout, I think a guy would be just fine welding or bolting a piece of box beam to the joint assy. so that piece of heavy flat iron can bump it and keep it up. wont be too much harder on the u-joint.

As far as the long shoe, they are getting very hard to come by, and will cost dearly at a salvage yard. I would see what an airfoil chaffer would do for you before going long shoe. but to answer your question, it is a bolt in deal.

Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a couple of combine wreckers close so I may check with them for an auger and a long shoe. Those old Gleaners they have in the yard have been sitting for years so maybe I can get some of this stuff cheap. We had an airfoil sieve many years ago along with a few neighbours, seems like no one was impressed with them around here for the old Gleaners. We're all using the old original Gleaner sieves and chaffers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know how close you are to Michigan Port Huron/Sarnia, but I know there's a dang nice 320 L/M head sitting at Card's in Chessening. It's one I traded off when I got my R50!
I'm about 4 hours away from Chessening. You don't happen to know how much they want for that header, and what the name of the dealer is do you?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yes, Card Bros. 989-845-7370. I don't know how much they've got on it, You'll have to ask Kevin Card. Can tell you it has tear drop bats, double cut knife with Crary spring loaded hold downs that have maybe 600 acres on them. Has poly on the skid plates. It's a Deutz-Allis green stripe head with AHHC sensors on both ends of the head. Also has the pump and reel motor on the head, mounted on the LEFT end of the head so the right hand end of the threasher countershaft is available for and air reel drive(took mine off when I sold it). Feather sheets are in good shape. Only thing I know of that needs attention is the A frame stabilizer on the left end of the head, it could stand some attention. I know I sound like a commercial, but it was a dang good head for me..Tom K.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.