The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade combines, currently have a 9750, I would like to get into a 9770. Given some of the current lower auction prices on 9770s, what would everyone's preference be on a purchase:

1) Auction, don't necessarily know history.

2) Buy one of Machinery Link's
MachineryLink Sales | Our Current Inventory

3) Local Dealer: They got caught with overpriced machines in a buyers market. Make an offer?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've seen machinery link combines ran hard and put away wet - people didn't care because they are lease machines... Dealers dont have warranty's yet are still higher then a auction. I'd personally watch for an auction where they are quitting farming so its not like they are selling it for a bad reason.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Looking to upgrade combines, currently have a 9750, I would like to get into a 9770. Given some of the current lower auction prices on 9770s, what would everyone's preference be on a purchase:

1) Auction, don't necessarily know history.

2) Buy one of Machinery Link's
MachineryLink Sales | Our Current Inventory

3) Local Dealer: They got caught with overpriced machines in a buyers market. Make an offer?
Another option might be buying private. Have bought quite a few pieces of equipment this way with no issues. Usually cheaper than auction or dealer .

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point on machinery link combines, although they probably have a pretty good service program, I bet what happens in between those intervals is not that pleasant. Loosing bearings and pulleys can be very frustrating in harvest from an efficiency standpoint.

I see some pretty good machines in the RB auction (appear to be anyway). I do know the dealers around here send their "junk" to auction. I guess some of the larger dealers might just be doing some inventory reduction though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another option might be buying private. Have bought quite a few pieces of equipment this way with no issues. Usually cheaper than auction or dealer .
Thats a good idea too, sometimes those sellers are motivated for different reasons, retirement, cash flow etc.

I am also looking into the Case 8230s, looks like a real solid machine, although there is not as many out there as 9770s.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bocephus, I just traded our 9770 off this fall and the dealer has put it up on auctiontime. It is a low hour (750 separator hours) 2010 machine in great condition. I wasn't planning on trading yet but it was more feasible to trade the combine and header than just trading headers. I think it is to be auctioned off on the 2nd.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Bocephus, I just traded our 9770 off this fall and the dealer has put it up on auctiontime. It is a low hour (750 separator hours) 2010 machine in great condition. I wasn't planning on trading yet but it was more feasible to trade the combine and header than just trading headers. I think it is to be auctioned off on the 2nd.
I strongly suggest not buying this combine.... I have full intentions of buying it myself, no use in bidding each other up :D

As far as where to shop for combine. There are many dealers moving inventory before the end if the year, especially the opposite color. The benefits right now of dealing with a dealer are some fantastic financing offers. I ran 2 machinery link machines this year (first one was a piece of junk!) So needless to say I wouldn't touch one of them no matter how cheap they go.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Regency- I noticed the dealer you traded with is red, wondering what you got, if you care to share? I am also kicking around the idea of an 8230.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Regency- I noticed the dealer you traded with is red, wondering what you got, if you care to share? I am also kicking around the idea of an 8230.
Traded for a 9230. Got tired of the lack of support from local JD dealers. Calling them 5 to 10 times trying to price something, then them saying "I didnt think you were serious about it". This dealer is the only one willing to bring a machine out to demo.

Went with the 9230 mostly because that is what they had with low hours but also wanting to get more acres done with the lack of man power I currently have. Hoping that when I have to put my wife in it while I unload trucks that even at her snails pace she will be over 20 acres/hr.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Traded for a 9230. Got tired of the lack of support from local JD dealers. Calling them 5 to 10 times trying to price something, then them saying "I didnt think you were serious about it". This dealer is the only one willing to bring a machine out to demo.

Went with the 9230 mostly because that is what they had with low hours but also wanting to get more acres done with the lack of man power I currently have. Hoping that when I have to put my wife in it while I unload trucks that even at her snails pace she will be over 20 acres/hr.
Sounds good to me! 45 foot head? If she is anything like my wife, she may not get the most acres per hour done, but when you get back from the bin the combine won't be broken either.

Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes went with a 45 FD 75. It was killing me this year. I have 2 semis with 40'trailers and 2 tandems. All were filled to the brim when she finally made it out to run the combine. We were in 20-25 bu wheat. I had the 2 semis unloaded before she had a hopper full. Needless to say that after getting after her to "get after it" I got the lecture about appreciating the help I am getting and if I kept it up I would not be "getting" any for a very long time! Apparently she meant it too!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes went with a 45 FD 75. It was killing me this year. I have 2 semis with 40'trailers and 2 tandems. All were filled to the brim when she finally made it out to run the combine. We were in 20-25 bu wheat. I had the 2 semis unloaded before she had a hopper full. Needless to say that after getting after her to "get after it" I got the lecture about appreciating the help I am getting and if I kept it up I would not be "getting" any for a very long time! Apparently she meant it too!
Slow & steady usually works ;)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hey regency your wife sounds just like mine if I give her some advice she takes it to heart ,I tell her what the **** would I know since I have been only farming for only forty years, all kidding aside I have never had a hired man that takes half as good care of equipment as her .

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I strongly suggest not buying this combine.... I have full intentions of buying it myself, no use in bidding each other up :D

As far as where to shop for combine. There are many dealers moving inventory before the end if the year, especially the opposite color. The benefits right now of dealing with a dealer are some fantastic financing offers. I ran 2 machinery link machines this year (first one was a piece of junk!) So needless to say I wouldn't touch one of them no matter how cheap they go.
I didn't end up bidding on this machine, but it looked to be a good deal! Did you get it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes I did! Im happy with the deal considering how its specd and more importantly its coming from a good home. Also I knew I could get 2yrs no interest through the dealer so that helps also :) Now the search for a header!
Nice! Definitely some deals out there right now on 70 series combines! Makes it even sweeter when you know where it came from!

What are your thoughts on a head? Mac Don? Deere?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.