The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just last night our straw chopper quit and we need to get this machine up and rolling since more rains are coming and lots of acres left to get in the bin.

We checked the fuse, it's good..

It was too dark for us to really look into it much but if anyone has information we can use what to look for or what to check let me know any tips or tricks. Is there a way to test if the clutch is receiving power and should be engaging? Any common cause of this feature to fail? How big/difficult of a job is it to replace the clutch since that will very likely be the problem we're guessing.

Sorry for the vague post, again happened at night and we haven't dug into it much at all.

·
Registered
675 Posts
On my tx36 there was a location on the chopper clutch to bolt in two square keys. Then the chopper is hooked up all the time. Starts with the engine. Look and see if your 66 has that as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I see on Ebay they also have listed a drive belt for the straw chopper... maybe blew a belt? And of course the combine is nearly 100 miles away and in a area of no cell service... why can't things break down near the home quarter??? :D

·
Registered
444 Posts
J Is there a way to test if the clutch is receiving power and should be engaging?
Check the belt first. If good then unplug the connector and see if it is dirty inside and plug it back in and see if it works.If no go then
I would put a volt meter on the combine side of the connector and see if it has 12 volts or more. There are one or two more plugs in that harness back to the power supply that could also need cleaned or repaired. If it does have good voltage then I would hook up a car headlight bulb to it and see if it has any current.
If it is ok then use your ohm meter and see if the magnet circuit is open which means a failed magnet or broke wire to the magnet from the plug. Very basic troubleshooting here so far.

Any common cause of this feature to fail?
My inner bearings on mine dried out and started howling at about 1200 hours. If they went bad it may cause cause damage to the windings from heat or miss alignment"(Just a guess).

How big/difficult of a job is it to replace the clutch since that will very likely be the problem we're guessing.
Took me an hour to remove the whole clutch unit and about the same to reinstall on the machine. I think about 3 hours to disassemble it and reassemble working by myself in the workshop. It is heavy for one guy but would be easier with 2.

I don't know if there is a way to mechanically lock the clutch so it runs when ever the engine is running. There once was a kit NH sold that bypassed the normal electrical control of the chopper so you could run it
if there was a problem but I am pretty sure they discontinued it because
it is dam dangerous to have the chopper running all the time. If you do this
be very careful back there.

Sorry for the vague post, again happened at night and we haven't dug into it much at all.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You have to have a working engine speed readout for the chopper to engage, if the monitor is not displaying engine speed the sensor on the front of the alternator pulley is not working. If you loosen the engine belt and with key power on the little light on the end of the sensor should turn on and off as you turn the alternator.

Next check for 12 volt supply to the clutch at the connector, best to use a multimeter and get it outside of the machine because you have to have the engine running and engage the thresher and turn on the chopper clutch switch. If 12 volt there fault is in clutch.

Test the ohms resistance of the clutch, if open circuit there is a fault in the coil or wire to it. If you have a couple of ohms the coil is good and there could be a mechanical failure like a broken spring plate in the clutch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.