The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curios, what is the thoughts on this.
Is it paranoia from Trump or is this a valid threat. Or is it just another stick in this whole trade war fiasco.
I personally have a HUAWEI cellphone, really likes it. much better than my wife's Samsung phone. But with the prospect of not being able to use it with google banning most of the software use, it is becoming a problem for the future.

I kinda understand the ban on the 5G network hardware, but just a normal phone, don't know.
Besides, Google has been spying on us with unlawful recording and what not, all in the name of trying to better there voice recognition software.

Seems a lot like a tin hat conspiracy theories.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I can't speak specifically to Huawei but I CAN share an experience my coworker recently had with some Chinese-built, off-brand tablets. They were 10.1 inch dual-sim LTE 4G tablets and ran beautifully, that is, until "suddenly" his passwords for online shopping/banking were being exposed to "hackers". Neither tablet had a sim card, it all happened via wifi. So, if scrupulous vendors /manufacturers can embed this capability into a $100 tablet, sky's the limit, including a simple cellphone. I highly doubt a major corporation like Huawei would stoop to such a level but, who knows.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Its one thing to have a local company under the countries rules of law trying to record you or whatever. We have mechanisms to handle those companies. Its a different thing entirely when a foreign hostile power is trying to do it. Look what they are doing in their own country with facial recognition.

This issue came to a head a few yrs ago when some Chinese chips were found to have recording devices stuck on the circuit boards.

·
Registered
435 Posts
We have a laptop and the new P30 Pro. Both amazing machines. Would be hard to go back now. Hope the trade war ends soon. No fun.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Easy to get the general public to forget about Facebook, Google, Apple, ..... All of which have had lawsuits for security, data mining, collecting of personal information.

ALL mfg. have the same abilities built into their phones. Don't worry Alexa is always listening...

Trump is a great negotiator, point at a target, make it public, then go after what you really want while everyone is distracted.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I don't really trust any of the tech companies, but do have a little more concern when it involves a country like China that would gladly take over the world if they were given the chance. Also their ties to North Korea is a bit worrisome. 99% of the population has nothing of interest to them, but the 1% maybe does?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I know we don't like the canola china thing but truth is Trump probably did us a favor. China is not a friend. calling us a security risk during NAFTA he was able to actually target Chinese steel dumping through Canada to the US which punished us for our stupidity and china for their corruption. Now the tariffs are dropped with mechanisms to now watch those products getting dumped and I imagine there is a side deal for us to ban this tech as part of the agreement.

Canada is a like a bunch of children getting into trouble without thinking until someone points out our folly. It is not secret the Chinese want to get into the arctic where we have no way to protect our sovereignty without the americans. We are too worried about apologies and which bathroom to use.

·
Premium Member
8,104 Posts
The main difference is more people can pronounce HUAWEI better now...sorta.
Heck, I didn't even know I had a Huawei phone until this whole fiasco! I just always got whatever phone Google was selling, which used to be Motorola.

It's a very good product, but for sure a security risk now that the facts come out. This technology should be kept domestic, or at least to a country that is not communist.

As for the 5G stuff I think we should go back to Analog phones. Sure they didn't beep when you lost a call, but at least you had reception when standing behind a branch! Seems as the network "improves" the rural coverage deteriorates....only good for city people.:frown:

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
**** it

XJ phones

Or better yet two cans and a string

·
Registered
136 Posts
Now those were a real bag phone ,no face,timing, pics,...email,wasn't even invented then hard enough to just talk with that stupid button in the hand set.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Nokia 5160. Best phone ever. Simple, durable, nearly indestructible, good reception and you could play snake on it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
my beef is walking into the SaskTel store and seeing the whole wall of hauwei phones! you would think that at least here in the canola capital of the world that maybe they could disappear from the shelf!

letting any non allied nation into data networks is pretty dangerous in my mind.....

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Ok, what are the xj/yj phones? Looked it up and I only see new stuff. I am pretty sure I have had one, but I never heard of them before.
As far as Huawei and thier 5g, they can stick it. As far as I am concerned that network should be done by a Canadian company or a company that is based in your country. Is there no one in Canada that can do this?

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
I don't really trust any of the tech companies, but do have a little more concern when it involves a country like China that would gladly take over the world if they were given the chance. Also their ties to North Korea is a bit worrisome. 99% of the population has nothing of interest to them, but the 1% maybe does?

Yet farmers willingly pay to give all their data to ag data companies, they don't even have to try to steal it...... ;)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Ah, I thought it was a type of phone, not the netwok. Slightly before my time. I do remember the party line though, I am guessing that will be pretty similar to Huawei 5g system:22:

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
XJ were from the early 90’s and before. There was also the Aurora phone. That was before there were cell tower up in rural places.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts