The Combine Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Tried to PM but it doesn't work for me either.

I am in the North Central part of Montana. Farm between Shelby and Chester north of highway 2. I could use the help but can't afford it now. If you want to look me up I would love to meet you. I lease some nice land for hiking, hunting, camping, relaxing.

Come to think of it, if you can do repair work I might be able to help you with some work or figure out a way to hire you. I have a service truck and hope to start doing more repair work this winter. I could use the help with that. Hire out some grain hauling as it needs done. Might even have a house becoming available to live in with another guy that has been helping me, maybe. Nothing full time, but could be busy depending on the job at hand. If you can work, haul grain, haul cattle, gravel.... I know of enough people to keep you busy mostly year around. I have all sorts of stuff going on at the moment and know of a few neighbors that would likely hire out some help.

Come to North Central Montana for a visit. If you love to farm/ranch it is for you. If love to farm so you can get rich, it is not for you. Not a whole lot of people and still has a good neighborly community feel to it. Say hi to half the people you see in the store kind of place. This is the land the Big Bud was made for!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I could sell the iron, but getting my lost income back from the farm when I bought diesel, fertilizer, and every day goods.
It's going to likely force me to have to go through my financial records, to recoup lost income and the wages that I was never paid.
My family did not look out for me at all. Your supposed to leave on good terms, unfortunately I dont see that possible at this point.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
How old are you, money is not everything. i lived out of a 1979 F150 in a tim horton parking lot when i got out of the service when i was thirty, and totally broke from a so called women.
Lots of rich people commit suicide, sometimes it is good to start new, and trouble free. Go find any job doing anything at all, maybe something completely different, shake the tree see what comes of it. think of it like the pioneer who just got of the boat, find an income to feed you, house you. Many men came to the new world with nothing and took it one day at a time, nobody is going to judge you.
i know when it got real bad, i remembered my grandpa surviving WW1 Poland and literally walked across Europe, made it to England somehow, landed in halifax and walked, and worked, across Canada, until he got to the farm i have now. It took him 2 years. I remember thinking he had it worse, i had a heater in my truck. LOl.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It's not the money, never was. I have been putting 40-60k of my income into the farm every year for the last 7 years amid the farming downturn to keep it going....
It's about the disrespect. I own 70% of the equipment used on the farm.
I am not able to just walk away..

I am tired, a farm is a great place for A family, but with my fathers current actions, which I used to ignore, a family of my own is not possible there.
I took it upon myself, and bought groceries for 4 years for myself Nd mt parents... all for not.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hey James the good thing is you are talking about it. I'll give you a ring during the week. Is your phone still the same number. Chin up mate
Cheers
Rodney

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am going to echo the above sentiments. Don't be afraid to get away from agriculture. It is a big world out there. Don't be afraid to get off the continent for a while either, there are unlimited fascinating people and places to see.

The dirt gets in your blood and it is sometimes tough to imagine life without it. Different circumstances but I am out of the game in a month or two as well. No idea what I am going to do and that is pretty exciting. If you can see it as an opportunity the world becomes your oyster.

One thing that I can tell you for sure is that you don't want to attempt burying your anger with work, especially solitary work. find something to do that gets you around people and socializing. You wanted to try out the girlfriend thing; One thing to remember with that is that if something is eating away at you, you won't be eating away at her :)

Life is short, find happiness in it. Remember that there are miserable people at Disneyland and that is the happiest place on earth. It is not about where you are physically, the happiness comes from within.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's not the money, never was. I have been putting 40-60k of my income into the farm every year for the last 7 years amid the farming downturn to keep it going....
It's about the disrespect. I own 70% of the equipment used on the farm.
I am not able to just walk away..

I am tired, a farm is a great place for A family, but with my fathers current actions, which I used to ignore, a family of my own is not possible there.
I took it upon myself, and bought groceries for 4 years for myself Nd mt parents... all for not.
If the majority of the equipment is yours, take it with you and go, if that means your father can’t farm anymore then so be it. if your families actions are what caused you to leave, then their actions, not yours are also what ended their farming career. Hopefully you land on your feet and get up and going again even if it’s not agriculture, I don’t think I’ve met many farmers who can’t make it doing anything else.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I owe 10k on a drill to the government, but the rest is.
If your family is going to do you that way what’s keeping you from throwing it all in the RB auction and moving on?

The sooner your off the dead end road the better you’ll feel.

And to boot the farther you and your assets are away from the operation when the Sheriff shows up the better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and I operate an organic farm in eastern Oregon. It's cattle country and we have sold certified organic hay to an organic dairy. We are looking for other markets and may get into organic field seed production.

We are past normal retirement age and our children are not interested in becoming farmers. My wife will send you more information. Please take a look at our website dorasgardenDOTcom. (This system won't let me post an e-mail address or a link, but you can find it.)

Good luck and best regards,
Ira

·
Registered
385 Posts
Great advise from all the people on here. If I was you I’d put all my equipment in an auction. If your family need it to farm they can bid and pay the same as anyone else. Take your money and sit on it until your sure what your want to do. It’s a big world away from the farm and I wish I’d have traveled more before now. Lots of work offers on here could give you a whole new circle of friends and great memories. Then when your not looking the right girl might appear and life will take on a whole new meaning. My lawyer once told me when we were talking about women that some are cute chicks when you date them and they move in but when they leave they can be vultures. Wish you all the best.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think its do or die now for me.
Looking for a farm that needs help, farming operations and also has off season over the road operations. Large or moderate scale.
My experience is extensive in older agricultural equipment and commercial
Applications.
Honestly, I farm with my parents and drive over the road in the off season, and working for free is too expensive for them.
(Expensive, meaning my father is a narcissist)
The cons... I am personally a wreck. Years of emotional abuse may take me a few months to actually enjoy myself.

Over the past 15 years I have been purchasing farm equipment on my own to benefit my farm, and it was all for nothing. Either I can sell the stuff or keep it, (8850 kinze and more)

I own two semis which I drive one over the road currently.

I should have left 7 years ago when he bought a brand new combine and had no idea how to pay for it... the last mental breakdown I had.
To many wasted opportunities due to ego and childish behavior in some of the worst economic times, and I am tired.

This is not a new story in the agricultural world, but unfortunately its mine.
8850jd, have you figured anything out?

I don’t get on combineforum much so I’m late to this thread but I’m looking for good guys who want a career oriented farm job, not just someplace to park for awhile and for good guys I’m willing to pay like it’s a career.

My username at hotmail.com will get you in contact with me privately.

Thanks and good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
8850jd, have you figured anything out?

I don’t get on combineforum much so I’m late to this thread but I’m looking for good guys who want a career oriented farm job, not just someplace to park for awhile and for good guys I’m willing to pay like it’s a career.

My username at hotmail.com will get you in contact with me privately.

Thanks and good luck.
Hey can you give me a call sir @ 229 805 0396

21 - 38 of 38 Posts