The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of buying a 1997 2188 with all the options.
It has 2400 rotor hrs and had a new AFX rotor put in 500hrs ago. I am wondering on rebuilding parts of this combine, the augers and some chains need new parts, I would like to go through and put all new augers and chains and belts, is it worth it on a combine like this? The sheet metal seems to be fine and it had only done barley, wheat, canola, and oats. Has anyone rebuilt a 2188 from header to auger tip? What was a rough cost for parts? I am thinking this can be all done on the farm so I would save on labour. They are asking $40,000Cnd for it, I was thinking offering $35,000.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
check the unloader tube and elbow. shaker arms auger bed look them over close!! belts chains and such keep them close they are all easy to install. I have had a lot of trouble with shaker arms over the years and old design that needs updated only use Chrome rasp bars and extended wear pieces for rebuild you will be glad you did

·
Registered
475 Posts
A 2400 hr 2188 for even $40k is very reasonable, if not cheap. That's not a lot of money for decent capacity.
We had a 20k workorder done on ours a couple years ago and that included labour and a chrome AFX rotor and new concaves. Here's the breakdown:
AFX Rotor and concaves $11590
New Feeder chain and repairs $3840
Replace Hydro coupler $2650
These include the labour at $75 an hour and done by a rookie so it took him longer. The dealer screwed us by not using book time. But all well, he's bankrupt now.
Prices are probably cheaper now because of the appreciation of our dollar.
I should clarify more. Labour $5500 and parts were $13500. We still have the original elevator chains, auger bed and cone. One thing to do every 500 hrs at a minimum is change the shoe bushings. And change them all at the same time. Don't inspect them and leave them in. Just change em. We have broke 2 top sieves. The first one at 500 hrs and the second one because I didn't check the service record to see when they were changed last. That cost us another top sieve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts