The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking at purchasing a used CR-960, with a 39' Honeybee front. It has 980 Sep Hours and 1200 Eng Hours..

As i have never had any experience with CR's, what are their weaknesses? Where should i be looking for problems/wear points? What work should be done with this many hours?

Cheers

·
Registered
508 Posts
The clean out covers on the bottom of the grain tank(theres 4 of them) are for some reason thiner metal then the rest of the grain tank. Our dealer replaced them with the new series of covers which are as thick or thicker then the rest of the metal. Something to look for there. Depending on what year it is, the earlier ones had a plastic hydraulic tank up right beside the engine which had a tendency to crack and cause fires. New ones are steel. There weak points are electrical. But it'll monitor everything. It will even tell your when you have broken the concave shear bolt. A message will pop up on the screen telling you. We had problems with the tranny. Dealer took care of that. Need thing is if for some reason it won't shift like it did with me alot last year, you can take an adjustable wrench and manually shift gears. Basically you can override anything. It has a fridge behind the seat. You need the cooler to get it cold.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
125 Posts
Another thing to watch is the rubber mounts for the concave latch. at 330 hp they pound out pretty fast, and then the cancave pops out of the rail in the back with every wad you put through.
Newholland has a change over kit for it to change it to a solid mount and i think its around $600. well worth it though.since there is no warning that the concave has dropped, and it just dropps the straw on the grain pan and pluggs up the chaff spreader, and there's no warning on that either, so you really dont know till it piles up too the beater and pluggs that up too. thats all the problems I had this year on 3500 acres.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts