The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get some L233P from 2018 for half price and wondering if it's worth it. Had someone tell me to never use canola older than a year but not sure. Don't have much experience with canola as I usually prefer mustard in my area.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
They resell it all the time. Many bags get probed and have a small round sticker to cover the hole the tiny probe took a sample from. Germ comes back good and you are buying it at retail price again. Seen it many times.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
We have used an old bag here and there, and for some reason could always pick it out in the field. Not sure if it was the germ or more likely the vigor that was a bit off, and always wondered if the seed treatment doesn't lose some of it's potency.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I assume it is pre treated if it is in bags. From what I have heard/seen, the treatment really cuts the germ and or vigor down. Like said above, get a germ done on it, put it down heavier if it is all good.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I do wonder more about treatment than germination. Did use bit last year finishing up - was cargill rr ready with lumiderm - and coincidence or not did have a cutworm patch there that did not see on new seed land - new pioneer rr with lumiderm. One of the disadvantages of planter is inevitably end up with bit of seed that cannot be returned when you clean it out - more than an airseeder where you paying attn. Guess since not planting any this yr will have some seed that gets nice and old before see what it does.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here in aus I keep seed from harvest each year, if I don't use it all this season I just use it next season. Never an issue

·
Registered
869 Posts
Not a problem. cheap seed imo. Seed a bit heavier if you’re concerned or germ is lower. I would do a germ quick to check it.
I’ve never used old seed with lumirderm might be good to ask the rep if it’s got that on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts