The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
loadbox?? = tray?? I made both the one on the gold ute and the silver one, the boxes on the gold one are mounted to the tray, 2 slide out drawers each side, and on the back left corner under the tray behind the left rear wheel was a tool box with a punched mesh floor(about 1/4" or 6mm holes) that held a tow chain, as these always end up muddy/dirty and as the dirt/mud dried and fell off the chain it could fall through the mesh floor of the toolbox

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No higher than other ones I've done madsnake,i didn't want a high tray floor or a high centre of gravity, just arranged frame rails a little differently and had the drawers between the front two tray mounts, drawers were half the width of tray each so they all but touched in the middle, two drawers each side and plenty of room under the drawers for jack, jump leads etc

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
That says it all then, just one hit far more then paid for the work you went through, never mind the down time of a destroyed front end or lives lost because a roo went through the windshield. Love those driving lights and how you protected them too from high impacts without destroying too much of the light they throw out.

Of course I'm extremely impressed with the whole unit and can tell from comments that its mind boggling in how your able to fabricate the things you have, be it this pickup or all the other projects you've done. Did you take metal working courses or work in a shop at one time with skilled owners or is this all right out of your head and just a natural talent, self taught ?

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That says it all then, just one hit far more then paid for the work you went through, never mind the down time of a destroyed front end or lives lost because a roo went through the windshield. Love those driving lights and how you protect them too from high impacts without destroying too much of the light they throw out.

Of course I'm extremely impressed with the whole unit and can tell from comments that its mind boggling in how your able to fabricate the things you have, be it this pickup or all the other projects you've done. Did you take metal working courses or work in a shop at one time with skilled owners or is this all right out of your head and just a natural talent, self taught ?
I dabbled around my dads shed as a kid and had no interest in metalwork through my school years, prefered woodwork classes, but after leaving school and working on my families farm and having no access to wood work equipment I got more involved in r&m and fabrication on the farm,and found it came quite easily to me, my early work was with a stick welder and I attended some night classes for one night a week for a couple of years to get me up and going with a mig welder, I got a pressure welding ticket with the quality of welds I was able to produce, then as I got into more projects I've struck up a pretty good friendship with a local steel supplier and fabricator, I find I am able to kick around a lot of ideas with him, and the rest if it is really just out of my head, with some trial and error along the way

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Having the interest and drive with a creating mind makes all the difference, and learning how to weld better then just good ... puts it all together !.

Those side panels on the load box was one that I thought, your ether buying metal formed that way or you are getting it bent at a fab shop or you have a large metal break yourself. The headache rack tube, now that's a bend that takes a fancy piece of metal working equipment and figured you dreamed up the whole plan and farmed out a few key components. Then again looking at some of the local Hutterite colonies here, such things as a computer controlled cutting table and metal break and so on as they got into making components for the oil field and now making grain bin hopper bottoms.

I have nether the skill or creative mind to come up with too much ... won't be happening in my life time, never mind the lack of equipment to work with :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i only have a small press brake and its not capable of doing stainless, so things like the doors on the toolbox I get folded in town, a nice bigger press brake and guillotine is next on the shopping list when I can find one that is in my budget, for the small folding jobs I manage with what I have or my friend that I buy steel off hires me his gear to knock up what I have to. the headboard on the trays have been made out of pressure bends and pieces of medium/heavy wall pipe, bit of work in them but they come up nice and I feel better having that above my head than a piece of thin wall exhaust tube that's been bent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.