The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hobby farm about 145 acres. Currently running and older case 2470 for farm work. We also have an agco 6690 mwfd that I use for work pulling 15' batwing and bale processor for seeding work. The agco needs updated, the case runs 40 hrs a year, I was thinking of getting a new one to replace both. Looking at deeres, kubota and massey all in 95-110 pto hp range. Could I farm with this size? Are they comparable to an old 4020? I will only have to switch discs, thinking about 12-13' offset? We have a 24' crust buster and 24' folding drill that should be handled fine. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would be looking in the 120 to 175 pto hp range to take the place of both tractors and possibly even as high as 225 pto hp depending on the type of terrain you farm.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Get the ones you like the look of out on demo for a try and by the one you like the best. If they have the power they will be fine and should run rings around a 4020 which is the best part of 50 years old now.

·
Registered
849 Posts
220 hp for 145 acres?

a D series deere would be fine. I think a massey in the same price range or for a little more money will give you a better cab, better tranny and better hydraulics. Kubota would be 3rd on my list.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I would be looking in the 120 to 175 pto hp range to take the place of both tractors and possibly even as high as 225 pto hp depending on the type of terrain you farm.
I have to agree with this. There are some real good buys right now in the 150-180 PTO hp range. Can be picked up for a bit more than a bigger utility, and you don't have to trade disc's.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have to agree with this. There are some real good buys right now in the 150-180 PTO hp range. Can be picked up for a bit more than a bigger utility, and you don't have to trade disc's.

You'd be comparing a 20+ year old row crop tractor, for example a 4755, that has the potential to generate enormous bills to a 7220 if Tractorhouse is anything to go by. I'd take the newer tractor all day long.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
May be different where you are at, and I am not going by the advertised prices on Tractorhouse either. The smaller tractors in this environment now are bringing as much or more comprehensively as compared to a 150-180 hp tractor. Not talking 55/60 series Deere's either. More like the 8100-8110's. The market on these machines is flat at best. 8100's with 4000 hours are selling short of $60k. Dealer has 2 on lot at $70k with 4500 hours and can't even get a sniff. Want a 7220? your still looking at $70k+. McCormik 230 with 1000 hours sitting on lot for $85k and can't get it moved in a year.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
This isn't a brand specific comment but thought I would make the comment on options to be thinking in terms of, in a new or used tractor that can do it all in a manor of speaking. The PTO speed or speeds might be one that could be very important on your list depending on what you have or will need to run as I know myself we have various PTO driven grain augers that all require 540 but on the other hand our batwing mower needs 1000. As soon as one gets over a certain horsepower they no longer can have 540 as the tractor HP would twist it off.

Powershift or some form of transmission that can forward/reverse easy and go through the gears under power... very nice for a lot of cycled utility uses.

MFWD, you already know what that's like to make all the use of the weight it as for traction although I don't know if you do or don't want duels on it as they don't work so well for clearance with some tractor uses but are usually nicer for traction in field operations.

Front end loader .... a guy would be lost without one of those on a farm and with a MFWD, such a nice match.

And three point hitch, certainly would be nice to have for pulling a rear blade or other 3PT mounted items, even a small sprayer but I realize a lot of older tractors don't come with one, not up here where I am anyway.

Do you think it would be possible to hang onto your Case, such a shame to let a true four wheel drive go down the road as it has the ability to do the field work better then the 110 hp tractor without a doubt.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
When you say "new", do you mean new, or "different". I'm just shaking my head here, 225 HP for 145 acres :eek: Brand new 100 horse tractor for 145 acres :eek: What crop are you farming, gold leaf? Guys running down the 4755 ? :eek: Good grief, that's like my dream tractor!

To each there own, hey, if you got it flaunt it, but to answer your question, before we finally started growing a bit, we farmed over 250 acres and our biggest tractor was 75 on a good day. 1 tractor with mfwd and a loader. Takes time, but can you do it? Certainly. Good luck in whatever you choose.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I farm about 120 acres and my biggest tractor is about 50HP and you're thinking you need one triple that size and are getting advice to go to 4 or 5 times the horsepower? Again, what are you raising that you need that much HP?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I think 100hp is perfect for your operation myself but of course it depends what you are doing with it other then what you have listed. Personally I think I'd go for the Deere or Kobota, I have a little time on newer Masseys and they are okay but seem to have electrical and other issues. John Deere has a basic tractor that still has levers and gearshifts and a gear pump for hydraulics, kind of a "cowboy special" that I think is a pretty attractive little tractor. I only ran a Kabota a few times about twenty years ago, if they are building them today like they built them then I'd say that's a great little tractor.

Another consideration is emissions systems, I'd try to find something that is pre tier three if possible, don't know about tractors but there are still new swathers out there that have mechanical fuel pumps.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Yep... I was thinking a 9N Ford would handle that! A tractor that has the ability to do everything you want and wouldn't cost an arm and a leg would be a 4440. The only thing you lose is the MFWD unless you're lucky enough to find one in good shape.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts