The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has thrown a set of tracks on a sxs to do some work in the winter?

Ive always liked the idea of having a set of tracks for any utility purposes I have in winter with my Defender. But Ive also always had a sled around and usually either make that do or get the tractor out. I can get a pretty decent utility sled for the same price as a set of tracks.... but how many sleds does a guy need. I have a bit of addiction to them.

Figure the tracks on a utv would be pretty nice for hauling wood, hauling grain to cows, checking cows or hunting or fishing or really any work that needs to be done with snow on the ground. How much can they actually go through? How much of a PITA are they to switch over from wheels to tracks twice a year. The sleds I have are not made for towing but I make them work.

Anybody with any experience with tracks on a utv or atv? Anyone do any chores with a sled in the winter?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Our snowmobile club has a ranger with tracks we don't switch them , but it's use is primarily for picking up signs in the spring where we will be on melted muddy fields and still have to cross deep snow in ditches - runs etc . You will lose allot of speed and it is most definitely harder on the machine ( we are currently putting in a new trans ) . As far as where it will go , almost anywhere .

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kind of the same idea that I would be using them for. If I want to go fast and play theres no doubt I'm jumping on a sled. Looking for the utility side of things. Just dont want to dump a bunch of mo eh in them to try then be fighting through the snow still .

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
I see the oil guys using them plenty around here. They also had a jeep with tracks. They seem to go most anywhere when they are checking wells. I have been impressed. I have never used one. They do haul them around on a trailer. Guessing if you have to go very far with decent roads it is best to haul them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
were riding our sleds in the cypress hills in 2017 and was enough snow that we were getting stuck with mountain machines in the hills had a fire for lunch and a polaris ranger on tracks rolled right up to us like it was no big thing I was really impressed

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I have no first hand experience, but guys I have talked to say they do take a fair bit of power.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know I looked at those expeditions. Theres a lot of things I like about them. But ya, tis a tad bit of overkill I'd say for what I want to do.

I know the tracks take some power and top speed. But for what I want to do neither of those are a big concern. Mainly as far as I would be going is within a mile or two. When it starts getting farther than that itll prob be one of those nice snowcrop scouting days with a box of refreshments beside me. So again no need for speed there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The tracks make a ranger go through almost anything. It usually takes about an hour or so to put them on with 2 guys. I've heard the can-am holds up better if you're running the tracks lots of miles but can't say for sure as we only have Polaris'. It will also register more miles on your odometer than you actually went because of the reduction. Camso is good, mattracks are awesome but spendy$$$.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Just bought a set of used but almost new Mattracks for my ranger northstar. Waiting for the mounting kit. Looking forward to following Youngs kids around on their sleds while in the heat! And few tours with a bottle should be fun also.

·
Registered
899 Posts
My buddy had a Kawasaki Mule that he put tracks on. I don't know if it was the design of the machine or the tracks, but as soon as you turned just a little bit at anything faster than a crawl, it would throw snow into the passenger compartment. Not a little bit of snow, shovel fulls of snow. I'd recommend some kind of cab. It would go threw just about anything, but when it got stuck, you will want a winch on the back.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd say thats more of a toy, does look like fun, but I'll still take my sled for playing anyday.

I've got half doors on and also a big set if flares if I want so not to concerned about the snow build up.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Had tracks for 10 yrs on my side by sides. Go anywhere. Can use in snow or very wet conditions to make life easier. They are high maintenance. Start counting the bearings. I think I replaced 16 6003 bearings and between 50-60 6205's on my last set. They add strain to your drive train and A arm bushings when turning big time. Put a blade up front and it turns a side x side into a little caterpillar. My 800 poo blew 2 front diffs pushing tree's off the snowmobile trail in 4 yrs. My 900XP hasn't blew one yet at 11,000 miles yet but haven't used it for pushing trees either. When you start pushing and lifting the blade, a sh!t pile of weight goes on to those front tracks and it will push like you cant imagine. That little diff has to give eventually. My first set of tracks I mounted a 100 gallon tank in the box and made a 40 ft boom for. Installed a 12 V pump and sprayed my unseeded acres the one yr. I did over 1000 acres that yr with round up and that rig. Not one rut in the field and weeds never went to seed. That yr we had rain like many have never, or will ever see. We would get an 1" every second day it seemed. Had 7" in less than 36 hrs. 4-5" rains more than once as well. That yr was a yr to remember. It started the yr before pulling combines out and it just never stopped being wet the next yr. Roads washed out here everywhere and the RM was beside itself trying to cope. On a field that is saturated, with a 100 gallon tank full, I likely sank 2" at the worst but on average 1/2" to 1". Never went around anything. Just straight back and forth through every pothole etc cat tails and all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts