The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Trying to diagnose a V8 Deutz. Two of them actually. both ran fine for the previous owners.

First one:
90 R70, 779 twin turboed. Consignment auction buy, got it cheap. Suspected excessive ether use due to crap batteries and coldweather
Ran fine for afriend for 20 acres, then went to missing really bad, didnt seem to have much for blowby, but had some. engine shaking, belt slapping, etc. We assumed ring let go from previous ethering. parked it.

Fast forward 1 year, still at friends place, he needs it moved, it lost prime, after he primed the fuel system, it runs fine.

Second one:
93 R62. 779 Twin Turboed.
Supposedly ran fine, traded to a dealer. Also suspected excessive ether use due to junk batteries. they sold it for wheat harvest, and it laid down within the first two hours. They come out to diagnose, its using oil badly. (1-2 gallons per hour)
They gave him his money back, and sell us the combine for salvage.
It shows up here and drives off the truck, belt slapping, engine shaking, running like crap.

I am curious what ya'll have experienced with these. Someone mentioned they were prone for governor failure in the pump, and there was an update?
I have a little faith in the first one being fixed cheap/ easy, but still rather certain the R62 is actual piston trouble.

Any input on the issue at hand, or any Deutz friendly shops that you recommend would be appreciated.

(PS: dont try and tell us to get a Cummins, fixing existing engines is best option, we have a donor engine to rob a piston and jug from, and I really dont like the 8.3L, and a parts customer has a locked up Cummins R72. Everything has issues... :) )

·
Registered
153 Posts
There is a kit to put on the injection pump that adds springs to make the governor problem go away. Happened to our 62. When it got unloaded on the ends the rpms would flutter. Dealer put the kit on and fixed the problem. Almost sounds like you have an injector issue as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would talk to Gier Diesel dodge city. Deutz motors are what they specialize in. If you need to order anything new to complete your repair they will be more useful for getting parts than agco. Always been friendly and helpful when I have called them. Made sure you have all the information off the engine tag in you need parts or want to know about something real specific.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
I've only ever had my mitts in the six cylinder ones...I will say they are a fairly durable engine IMO, but persnickety on how they are worked on, meaning some things need to be done different than a normal engine.
I'm guessing you have the manuals, but if you don't and did want/need some info on that v8 I have the books for both the v and the inlines. Not sure I have even looked at that one for the v series, but it seems those Deutz books aren't that common.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Pritchard Dieseltech in Winnipeg really know the Deutz engines. Just talked with them a few days ago regarding my friends Case wheel loader with a 4 cylinder Deutz engine in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts