The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the New Holland Varifeed header? I am wanting to start straight-cutting wheat and canola and wonder if this header will do the job? Keep in mind I plan to go higher with wheat seeding rates and use growth regulators to keep crop height down. I noticed with some of our shorter wheat this year that it was not flowing evenly on a long draper, I wonder if this will become more of an issue as things get shorter???

I know that late at night when things get tough a draper will likely flow crop better but I would rather combine when the weather is good than all night anyways.:rolleyes: I have heard that having an adjustable cutterbar allows you to adjust the distance from knife to the auger which is important to get proper crop flow, making this not just an ordinary auger head.;)

Obviously would have to pick up a cheap flex head for the beans but they are fairly common and reasonably priced.

Anyone have some experience here....Thanks.:)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
look to uk for feed back on them
but vari feed header in north America don't have the extending knife part like the European models which is used for cutting canola which works awesome to cut down losses I know this isn't avliable in NA as I tried to buy a header here for my 9120 that I shipped back to the uk in the case models they are called a vario header the pricing on headers over there are very reasonable price 36ft vario feed header with transport side knives full spec was 36 000 uk pounds which is 64 8000 add 8 k to get it here I would think

also for wht it will work fine as all whts in uk are a lot shorter than here in Canada straw shortners have been used for years
the area in front of the auger to knive is a little wider than NA models allows the grain to spin to create the whirlpool effect as it feeds so you can operate the combine to the max
here I find as soon as it dose that it stopps cutting the center correctly

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark I think the extendable cutterbar is available from New Holland but not from CaseIH. I'm pretty sure that these units I have been priced have 23" adjustable cutterbar and side cutters for canola.

Are you saying that there should be a little more distance from knife to the auger than a typical auger header to get maximum output in wheat?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Mazergroup had one running around during harvest I was gonna demo it in canola but ran out of time this fall. I have friends in Scotland that run them beside standard auger heads and love them. I think they should work fine in wheat and lots better than what my fd70 did in canola this fall:rolleyes:
Have you priced one compared to a draper SWMan?

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you priced one compared to a draper SWMan?
They are similar price to a 35' MacDon FD75 with single knife but have no flex for beans. Flex heads a few years old come cheap though.

Likely this would work best as it is designed for the machine and uses the lateral tilt and all that. I think this is the world record header maybe...;)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
yeah they do I will as my buddie who has a vari feed in the uk how much it moves when I asked if the vari feed in Canada the base moved they told me no just standard header so your finding out more than I did
yes case do a vario feed header but not able to get it in north America why I don't know

how did my uk pricing figure against what you found out

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah they do I will as my buddie who has a vari feed in the uk how much it moves when I asked if the vari feed in Canada the base moved they told me no just standard header so your finding out more than I did
yes case do a vario feed header but not able to get it in north America why I don't know

how did my uk pricing figure against what you found out
I should say that I am trading some heads in so I am working off a difference price, also they have two different heads at two different exchange rates so it's a 2 for 2 package deal. I would say you are in the ballpark with your price.

I have leads on a couple of guys running them nearby but would still like to get feedback from others.;)

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is anyone running the 41' SW?
Do they have the same centre knife drive that the drapers have?
I don't think so, these are 35'. I also believe that they are an end drive knife. Honestly I haven't done a pile of research to have all this figured out, hence the thread here.;)

35' works better with my unload augers too, and my rolling land, and the roadsigns...:eek:

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will your new combines have the twin pitch rotor or the S3 rotors in them?
Pretty sure they have twin pitch rotors, same as the one I demoed. They also have the dynamic feed roll system.:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has had a year or 2 of experience with these headers? There are a couple used ones for sale fairly close to me at what seems like a reasonable price. I haven’t seen them yet but assuming they are not total junk I was looking for opinions on how they worked particularly in canola. They would be going on a 9240 so I would think combine and header could communicate. TIA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.