The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run two used oil burners too heat my shop, one smaller one and a large one. I am running short on used oil and a guy that lives near here has been running veggie oil in his pickup but he is moving and couldn't take all of it with him so he gave me about 600 gal of it, I have run 15% or so before since we own the local bar we use that in there, but now I am almost straight veggie oil and I am having troubles getting it through my filter.

So far I have put a 500 watt oil pan heater directly under the suction tube, heat tape on the tube goin to the filter and on the filter I have a 200 watt magnetic heater with header wrap around it to keep the heat in the filter. Still is not quite doing it, works for a bit and the filter needs to get back up to temp.

Has anyone messed with something like this or had a set up on a pickup?
Is there a particular temp I should be shooting for on the oil?

The guy I got this from is real backwoods and has no cell phone so I can't get any info from him

Thanks for help in advance

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am afraid you would have to mix with diesel..... to keep it going. Havent heard to much luck with this from others.
Thats why not to idle your engines to much on veggie oil. Combustion is not perfect then because of lower heat. Some cases we heard of raising oil level in sump because of idling.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I got it working pretty good now, my stove has a 200 gal tank, and it is full, with 2 magnetic heaters and the 500 wat stick on heaters I got the tank up to 73 degrees and the heaters are next to the suction tube so my pipe to the filter is at 76 and the last 2 feet has heat tape witch is only helping about one degree, the heater on the filter is working well, I am coming out the pump about 88 degrees, and the filter is running a steady 12 lbs of vacuum, the furnace shuts down at 22, I am a little nervous if it would have to run for an extended period of time that I might start to loose temp coming out of the filter and run into problems, on a cold day the 400,000 btu furnace can use 30 gallons in a day so it's a lot of oil to keep warm

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one thing I was thinking about was retrofitting some sort of Diesel engine oil cooler or a water air after cooler for a big air compressor or maybe even just plumbing a tranny cooler in front of the heater just to soak up the heat there, and get a filter heater that can just keep it warm and ready when it is not running, with the oil temp around 55 the furnace would run for about 10-15 min at a time before the filter would essentially plug, so if the filter was warm enough I could get the furnace just warm enough to get the line temp to come up and the tranny cooler would take over from there on. It was kind of a surprise learning experience on a weekend

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But the kind of supply of this used veggie oil he was getting, and now I have acces to is pretty substantial, he said he was getting close to 2500 gal a year, if that's the case I should stay pretty warm next winter. I like that it don't seem to leave any smell in the shop like some oils do, known kinda smells like French fries outside

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My brother dumped in 2 bottles of 911, not yet sure if it is helping, the veggie oil puts off comparable heat to gear lube, If anyone is familiar with a shanandoah furnace I am only running my pump at 50% and I can get flames up the flue pipes at 75%

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found lots of nice filter heaters on eBay that should work a little better, thanks for the advice on that, they have lots of neat silicone heaters and such stuff for biodiesel, I still will need to heat the oil a little warmer or I could easily run into problems

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been pondering away and I am thinking I will take the coils from the back of an old fridge and mount it behind the louvers, I am thinking I will flare the ends for jic hydraulic fittings and try to figure out a lift pump to create a charge pressure

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a jic 37 degree tool, the style you clamp in the vice and give a good wack with the hammer, I got all the goodies for that, i like stainless tube better than hudraulic hose, I have rebiult a few older loaders that once had old bent up pipe thread pipes

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.