The Combine Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
engine went south on a friends 256, sent it to the nearest dealer and the quote to fix it was 25000$. I find this hard to believe.it is a 3.9 cummins, nothing special.to remove and replace would take at most a day.something wrong with this picture or am I out to lunch.hate to stick my nose in other peoples business but this is pretty bad.he has all the toys for this unit so he really needs it to run. there must be a cheaper way to solve this problem.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Phone a couple diesel shops. Can buy one exchange for way less than that. And a real easy job to do. Replaced one in our 276 and it was less than the machining bill to magnaflux, check line bore, rebuild head and hone cylinders. And came with a year warranty. But we changed it out due to poor compression and the fact it had 17,000 hrs so the core was still perfect. Can't remember the price as was several years ago. Got a longblock from DSG.

Engines & Engine Parts

Worked out great. About two days to install but worked on the axle cradle and pivot since it doesn't get any easier then that.;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.