The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The belt, reel, & canvas drive belt keeps twisting. Had two older neighbours over and neither of them could figure it out. Prob something simple...

Pic of the redish frame is my swather after spinning the belt motor running, spinning by hand it doesn't flip. Pic of the faded red is one of the neighbours swather for reference.

We've tried loose and tight belts, even changed the left pulley and the bottom one to no avail. Even rotated the triangle bracket to better line up the pulleys.

Second new belt on the machine as well...

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Kinsman
It's been about 20 yrs since I ve run one of those swathers.The canvass belt can be tricky too.If I remember correctly the rear pulley needs to be as low as possible and the front one as high as possible to give it more room to twist because it's on the slack side if that makes sense.It looks like that might be the difference in the two pictures also,worth a try.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
On my 400 I extended the bracket for the front(I think) idler so it sits much taller. I think I did it to accommodate a longer belt when I didn't have the right one, but has never twisted since then, and gives more wrap around the small pulley for less slippage. I just used a piece of flat bar, bolted an idler to one end and bolted it into the slot on the bottom. Might be shimmed or tipped to keep everything in line.

I do know that they were never built to spin a large diameter pickup reel in a wet down tangled crop. I carry all spare belts, roll pins, even pulleys and chains.

I also know that if I never see another twisted belt again it will be too soon.

Swather is unofficially retired now, at least that is the plan, doesn't break my heart at all.

Also check if any of the pulleys are bent or warped, the big one could easily be damaged by forcing a belt into it without unbolting the bearing, since it sits too close to the frame otherwise.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've been wrong before but I have looked at this several times and I can't help but think you should have a flat pulley on the front and the back of the belt will run on it.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I've been wrong before but I have looked at this several times and I can't help but think you should have a flat pulley on the front and the back of the belt will run on it.
I just looked at the picture, and yes, that is supposed to be a flat idler, not V.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Check the drives leading up to the first pulley. I had a belt that kept twisting once that turned out to be a worn chain and sprocket creating inconsistent movement in the pulley. A bad bearing or U joint could possibly give the same results.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
That is exactly what we did with our old 400. Front pulley was flat, back pulley was a V. Belt seemed to last longer that way.

·
Premium Member
5,152 Posts
That is exactly what we did with our old 400. Front pulley was flat, back pulley was a V. Belt seemed to last longer that way.
That is how it was done on the pull types, I actually went and checked the other day, but on those the belt is actually crossed as well. I've been meaning to look in the books as I have a whole binder on those swathers somewhere, but I keep forgetting when I'm outside to look for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts