The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, we’re considering tuning our 550dt, it’s been deleted already but just has a tune that knocks out the emissions. Thinking about doing a hp tune through a local reputable guy. He said they usually add 15% safely on these tractors so around 620hp. Do you guys think these are safe numbers or what’s your guys experiences been?

· Registered
23 Posts
450-500-550 and i believe 610 are all the same engine just tuned differently. I think the new 620s have a slightly different rad. Buddy's 550 is tuned to 620 says it pulls unreal. You should be safe you'll probably just burn more fuel

· Registered
51 Posts
Yes, that is very safe. If anything happens to the motor it won't be from too much power at that level. We bought a new vers 450 because we planned on deleting and tuning it after buying it anyway. We just ordered it with the heavy driveline. We are right around 650 and love it.
Our trucks with isx motors are around 630 to the wheels. You can start having issues at that level if worked hard for too long.
Also don't lug below 1500 if your using a high engine load

· Registered
4,835 Posts
Yes, that is very safe. If anything happens to the motor it won't be from too much power at that level. We bought a new vers 450 because we planned on deleting and tuning it after buying it anyway. We just ordered it with the heavy driveline. We are right around 650 and love it.
Our trucks with isx motors are around 630 to the wheels. You can start having issues at that level if worked hard for too long.
Also don't lug below 1500 if your using a high engine load
Is that tractor the same frame size and weight of the larger ones? Don’t hear of tunes of almost 200hp to often!

· Registered
51 Posts
Is this decrease in gph primarily from the delete, turning off EGR and such, giving you more efficient combustion and better engine temp? And you've verified this while fueling? Or are you just trusting the computer's numbers?
I believe it is a combination of both the horsepower that is added and the delete. We have found over the years that we can always get better economy with the motor set to a high horsepower and driven with respect.

· Registered
3,331 Posts
I believe it is a combination of both the horsepower that is added and the delete. We have found over the years that we can always get better economy with the motor set to a high horsepower and driven with respect.
When you tune the engine and aren’t worried about emmisons you can get better use of the fuel. Also your not pumping fuel into the muffler to do a burn.

I’ve seen a couple delta tracks pushing that 650hp without too much trouble. One had a different turbo and manifold on it.

· Registered
51 Posts
Forgot to comment on The fuel meter. This is based on the computer read out and it is not being altered by any add on chip so it is functioning the same As before Being tuned. I have verified with a meter that what it is currently counting is very accurate so I have no doubt that it was very accurate before. I will say that doing the tune completely changed The tractor you wouldn't even think it had the same motor in it. The torque was set to 2200' pounds. From factory it was at 16 Fifty. Before when I came to a hill that was steep I would have to downshift before the engine lugged down or else the tractor would just stop Now I almost never down shift when pulling the airdrill. I usually pull at around 1600 RPM. If I'm coming to a long hard pull I will drop a gear and let it run at 18:00. I should say that We bought the tractor in 2015 And have had it returned since 2016. We now have close to 3000 engine hours on it So it is fairly well proven to us

· Registered
6,647 Posts
I think I dreamed that someone told me an aftermarket exhaust system was available for 620 DT tractors that adds 70 HP with the stock injection settings on that tractor model. Subsequently another time I dreamed that frequent coding had become an issue, requiring a stop engine reset with the key. I don’t know what or if any performance combination was in use in my mixed up dreams, I don’t expect to know what’s up for sure until spring. 😵‍💫

1 - 20 of 28 Posts