The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive recently bought an 875 Versatile it came with a priority valve and what not on the back, how will this tractor be for running my air drill? anyone have any experience with this set up? I am hoping it will run the fan and just be slower picking up at the head lands

·
Registered
40 Posts
On our 895 we had to add an Atom Jet system for our 50 ft 2430 cart flexicoil 5000 air drill to function properly. Without it the fan speed would fluctuate and variable rate setting also , and would have to sometimes turn fan off at headland to get drill in and out of the ground.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Check on the left hand side of the motor, you might be able to add a second hyd pump to the aux port on the motor ,we added a 15 gal/min pump [200$] there and ran a fan for years with a electric flow control value and a cheap tank.Have pics if you like

·
Registered
540 Posts
We did that to an old 800 versatile because it wouldn't handle the additional pump. It worked well on a single shoot Bourgault with a fan that took 10GPM? I think that was the gpm. It had a really nice variable speed control in the cab which is a nicer control than our new versatile. Fluctuated a bit when oil was cold but once warmed up it held steady. Lifted a bit slow but nothing we couldn't live with. Do the math on oil requirement and you might be pleasantly surprised.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I have a priority valve system on my 875 with a concord drill (tractor came with factory 2 pump system, I added the priority kit). It works fine but is a bit slower on the headlands. If you have room for a 2nd pump radars idea is better. The open center atom jet kit is insanely priced for what it is, I thought about building my own accessory pump system but haven't had problems with the priority valve system.
There are a few threads on building your own system if you search.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ive recently bought an 875 Versatile it came with a priority valve and what not on the back, how will this tractor be for running my air drill? anyone have any experience with this set up? I am hoping it will run the fan and just be slower picking up at the head lands
Local hydraulic shop said most old Versatile pumps that come in are wore out. You can replace the hydraulic pump with a bigger one pretty cheap ($300-400 Can I’m guessing) the furthest hydraulic valve from you is priority so I put the cultivator lift on that one. At least you won’t get stuck in a mud hole that way. That setup will only run single fan and cultivator lift. No experience with an added priority valve

·
Registered
144 Posts
Apologies to 210 for hijacking, but:

Check on the left hand side of the motor, you might be able to add a second hyd pump to the aux port on the motor ,we added a 15 gal/min pump [200$] there and ran a fan for years with a electric flow control value and a cheap tank.Have pics if you like
I would like to see the pics Radar.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

I do have 2 pumps there and they both look fairly new also. I kinnda figured one runs steering and one runs ur remotes

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Series 3 875s had two pumps from factory. There is a priority flow control valve behind the rear pump on the side of the engine block which diverts oil to the steering and balance into the flow from the front pump which is what supplies the implement circuits.
There is a simple schematic in the owners manual that shows how it is all plumbed from factory.
If someone has been changing things or adding on, one needs to check how it was done.

Be very careful replacing factory pumps with larger ones which are driven by the accessory drive on a Cummins 855 engine. If you put too much load on the drive, there is a key that will shear internally on a drive gear, and while the shaft that drives the fuel pump keeps turning, the one that drives the engine oil pump stops...at 2K RPM you have mere seconds before she detonates. This is why Atomjet and others run aux pumps directly driven off crankshaft.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a late (1983) 835 with the two pumps. The one runs steering, and then the return oil goes into the other pump and to the remotes, if I remember correctly.

I just untwined them, and ran a new suction so they are independent. Then put a cable-controlled flow divider off the rear pump so the fan gets as much oil as you set and the steering gets the rest. I haven't had any trouble with it yet. Lift pressure seems to be the same as before and the steering still works flawlessly, but now it has extra flow that's not affected by the main controls. It runs a FC 1720 fan to well over 4000 RPM. It just doesn't have an "off" position other than the flow divider all the way closed, so we put a double-male loop of hose in the outlets and run a little oil through when it's not on the drill just to reduce the load on the pump.

·
Registered
546 Posts
What pj did imitates what a friend did with a single pump 750, the one pump runs steering with excess to hydro valves, he added a used front pump with a separate supply from tank and a flow control for the fan, works great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Radar, I see this is an old post, but could you send me the pictures of the pump and valve? It would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,028 Posts
Rps791 do you have one hydraulic pump or two from factory? Where are you located? We added a second pump years ago on our 875 to run our air seeder and power rod set up on our concord drill that we use to have. We did this 26 years ago and it worked well. Make sure you have a relief valve in the system.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Radar, I see this is an old post, but could you send me the pictures of the pump and valve? It would be appreciated.
Thanks
Engine started knocking so it s parked in the bush, hopefully I can get you some pics , if your looking ,it or parts are for sale, I think I even have a extra pump ,at the time was like 230 $. Even have my home made tank on the side if you need

·
Registered
546 Posts
Engine started knocking so it s parked in the bush, hopefully I can get you some pics , if your looking ,it or parts are for sale, I think I even have a extra pump ,at the time was like 230 $. Even have my home made tank on the side if you need
I would be interested in your pump setup if its available.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rps791 do you have one hydraulic pump or two from factory? Where are you located? We added a second pump years ago on our 875 to run our air seeder and power rod set up on our concord drill that we use to have. We did this 26 years ago and it worked well. Make sure you have a relief valve in the system.
SouthernSK, I have a series 3 with two pumps. I'm in southern Alberta, and have had the tractor for about 15 years. My idea is to put a two section pump in place of the transmission pump, one section for transmission lube, and the other for seed cart. Its closer to the tank,and can engage with a solenoid valve with a built-in relieft so I don't shear the pump shaft. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
SouthernSK, I have a series 3 with two pumps. I'm in southern Alberta, and have had the tractor for about 15 years. My idea is to put a two section pump in place of the transmission pump, one section for transmission lube, and the other for seed cart. Its closer to the tank,and can engage with a solenoid valve with a built-in relieft so I don't shear the pump shaft. Thoughts?
I have serious doubts on this idea mainly because of the drive that turns the transmission lube pump isn't what I would consider near sturdy enough.
Once you remove the transmission lube pump you will see what I'm talking about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts