The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been toying with some ideas on air seeder on another thread. I think we’re going to upgrade our tractor so here’s what’s in mind: Bourgault 8810 52’ on 10” spacing. Maybe MRB’s or just use paired row openers (Thoughts)? Bourgault 5350 or 5440 tank dual fan mechanical drive. Double shoot all dry fert. Pushing 270lbs per acre at the most in canola. Pulled by 9682 or 9882 or 9680 something of that vintage. Really dependent on what tractor we can find but I’m thinking we’re going to need around 50 gpm to comfortably run 2 fan Bourgault carts and lift drill without heating or pushing pump to max (for longevity). Hp wise i think we’d be ok with any of these. I seen on tractor data that these models have 50 gpm pump flow and 30 gpm steering flow correct?? I’m not that familiar with these models of versatiles we’ve only ran older. Maybe somebody who’s more of an expert could jump in...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sask grain farmer , i used to have a 2375 versatile which is similar in vintage to 9682 except colour . I ran a 1895 disc drill and a 1910 single fan air cart. I pulled this for only one season. I found that horse power wasnt the problem it was the hydraulic flow. It had enough hydraulic flow to run the down pressure and fan but as soon as i turned at the head lands i had short skips from re applying the down pressure which i could see on the monitor slowed my fan speed down. I know your 8810 doesnnt have this problem but before you commit to this rig think about your tractor requirements for future options. Always remember the tractor comes before the toolbar. Your needs may change and you need to be ready.
My 2375 hydraulic system ran extremely hot and noisy. Now a days i think the basic starting bare minimum hydraulic capacity should be 78 gpm and up for the latest and greatest tool bars and tanks.

I was only putting down seed and phosphate with the single fan tank, and the rest of the nitrogen was NH3. I think putting all the product down with that set up is dicey and hand cuffs you for future upgrades. Also buying a more capable tractor increases its trade value.

Just saying this because i ending up trading up to a 9510r deere with a double hydraulic pump and pto and wished i had done that in the first place , because i would of saved time and money. But thats the problem, we think we are saving by buying less of a tractor but, you cant fool the tractor , the tractor will fool you.!
Happy seeding and cant wait till spring!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
2 fans would be pushing it I think. My 946 has lots of flow for one and lifting but put a atom jet on for the second fan when I go double shoot. MRB's work good for Nitrogen but for Phos it is a 4-5" reach. I think looking back a good design paired row would be better. MRB's are high maintenance item I dread working on throwing money at every yr. The key to side banding is finding seed safe separation and one that wont fracture the soil drying out your seed row. I had paired row yrs ago with a flexicoil setup which had problems soil fracturing bad. Atom jet or something else would likely be good. Keeping your drill as low maintenance as possible relieves a lot of stress.

·
Registered
150 Posts
2 fans would be pushing it I think. My 946 has lots of flow for one and lifting but put a atom jet on for the second fan when I go double shoot. MRB's work good for Nitrogen but for Phos it is a 4-5" reach. I think looking back a good design paired row would be better. MRB's are high maintenance item I dread working on throwing money at every yr. The key to side banding is finding seed safe separation and one that wont fracture the soil drying out your seed row. I had paired row yrs ago with a flexicoil setup which had problems soil fracturing bad. Atom jet or something else would likely be good. Keeping your drill as low maintenance as possible relieves a lot of stress.
I too have a 946 with a extra hyd system, it works good 2 fans on a 6350 and a 3320 with the midrow banders .it can be done ,this year {1 year in 5} seeding when the straw was wet or tough the midrow's were always plugging and stalling, to do it again i think i'd look at the midrow shanks with a knife opener.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey not sure where your at in Saskatchewan, if your in the south east our farm is thinking about upgrading our 9880 versatile 6500 ish hours, kicked up to 450hp with 20.8 triples probably at 70 %

Just plays with a 52 foot 5710. 5300 series cart
1 fan and anhydrous.

We are planning to update to larger drill and cart in a year so are thinking of upgrading the tractor too.

I think hydraulic wise the 9880 is alright but in that series the steering has priority and steals your gpm when your turning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts