The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'd blow my brains out before I ever used a combine with those **** feeder house paddles. Also had Massy's back in the day. Last memory I have of them is pulling wrapped flax straw out while it was burning.

Never used a combine with feederhouse paddles. Can you just cut them off? Seems like a nightmare. What was the purpose?

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
Never used a combine with feederhouse paddles. Can you just cut them off? Seems like a nightmare. What was the purpose?
The paddles are the replacement for the feeder chain, can't remove them.

Previous post was a joke, perhaps a bad one...:eek:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Haha i got the joke... i was just curious about the paddles as id heard of them on this site but never seen them or knew what that even ment. Thanks for the knowledge.

What was the idea behind that?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
The idea behind them I think was to deter people from trying to grow flax!! Just kidding! I was just a kid when we had Massey's and I remember dad couldn't do flax as it would just wrap. In theory it has less wear parts than a feeder chain but just doesn't work well in crops that tend to wrap.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
I seen the massey style for the first time a couple years ago, actually was surprised it ever worked at all. I could see them conveying over the top but down the floor? Really interesting and it was nice to see someone tried something because I think the feeder chain is, well, dated, there has got to be a better way IMO.
I kind of took interest in the Versitile system but felt it probably wouldnt be ideal, but it again is neat to see someone tried something.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If the paddles were timed right it wasn't a problem they fed and worked like a charm and lasted for thousands of hours. In severe wrapping conditions you would add 2 paddles per paddle and that would eliminate the wrapping. It was the best feeding system out there simple and maintenance free. We still have an old 860 as a second combine and with over 3000 hrs those paddles have NEVER been replaced.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
If the paddles were timed right it wasn't a problem they fed and worked like a charm and lasted for thousands of hours. In severe wrapping conditions you would add 2 paddles per paddle and that would eliminate the wrapping. It was the best feeding system out there simple and maintenance free. We still have an old 860 as a second combine and with over 3000 hrs those paddles have NEVER been replaced.
Curiosity has me, how was the drive chain life? If memory serves me right it was double 50 on a 850 massey.

Thanks! Things like that drive my interest

·
Super Moderator
2,603 Posts
Well...
Wouldn’t call it maintenance free, all those chain drives.
If you ever plugged the feeder they were a ******* to unplug in the days of no reversers. They did feed the cylinder very smooth though and were likely very quiet although with a engine running 50 cm from you kinda irrelevant, ha ha.

You might find this interesting:
http://pami.ca/pdfs/reports_research_updates/(4c) Grain Combines and Attachments/313.PDF

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Ya I've heard that story before. Ours were timed every possible way. Kudos to you for keeping one for over 2500 hours.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Got it and passed it to my guy . Thanks much better to talk to someone with real life experience .

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well after a long talk with the guy Madks hooked him up with my buddy bought one ( he wasn't scared off ) I haven't had time to sit down with him for any length of time but the header clutch was a problem area . They found very little difference taking off the chain that rotates the concave , easy access to most of the machine , concaves adjusted from outside , but sounded like all in all a decent machine once figured out " like most " if you are willing to live without some of what we feel are normal options .

·
Registered
1 Posts
A friend has asked me to post this question as he was considering the RB combines if the price is right . Has anyone had any REAL experience with these good or bad . Thanks in advance for any insight anyone may have .
the biggest turd ever — had more problems then you can imagine 8.5 acres an hour and 2 gallons of diesel per acre ,,, muti- problems lack of parts and knowledge i ran a rt 490 2012 modal My name is Ryan Klimas and my 406-734-5288 i have horror stories and i would love to talk to any one that has ran one please call

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hows your buddy making out with his new combine?

Well after a long talk with the guy Madks hooked him up with my buddy bought one ( he wasn't scared off ) I haven't had time to sit down with him for any length of time but the header clutch was a problem area . They found very little difference taking off the chain that rotates the concave , easy access to most of the machine , concaves adjusted from outside , but sounded like all in all a decent machine once figured out " like most " if you are willing to live without some of what we feel are normal options .

·
Registered
984 Posts
Every farm is different. Crops grown etc can make the difference of where a combine does well. Also the area you live. Where I live it is usually hard harvesting 50% of the time. Lots of straw and wet ground or tough straw. A combine here has to have a tough drive train. Some hills and the ability to push mud day after day some yrs will show drive train failures quick. Gleaners have never had an issue in the drive train area. I purchased my 9790 MF because they share the same drivetrain. Piles of new Deere from big farmers with 7 combines playing in the mud have jumped ship to lexion. One by Hudson bay has done this and one north of melfort I heard as well. Nothing more fun than fixing a combine in the mud near the frame with diff blown out. Tracks installed on combines like these weren't that weren't designed for it fail. When an excavator is required to remove your 4wd and grain cart from the field being stuck you know your wet. Many have never seen conditions like this. Over here it's a reality some yrs. Had my gleaner driving from one piece to another I couldnt get grain truck to. I didn,t have a grain cart at the time and crossing a run loaded the 6 th time I buried it to the header fully raised. Backhoe to dig the mud out behind the header so I didnt tear it in 2 getting it out was in order. Had to drive the grain truck into this muck hole hard so I could unload the grain tank and pull the grain truck out after. The stuff I have had to endure the last 30 yrs of farming would make most people cringe.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts