The Combine Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you have a dealer with which you have had a long standing relationship it might be a machine to consider for the right price.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Have your buddy phone these guys: Corner Equipment

They have at least 4 of them on the lot the other day when I was there. I'll bet for not much more they can get him into a machine and Corner will do their best to support that unit afterward from my experience buying other machines there. They have a location in Shoal Lake which isn't that far away. From what I know they are a half-price machine and there is lots running around the world so they must get something done. I have not seen one run personally though.

Half the problems today are from elective systems on combines. Sometimes I long for the old "pull the lever to engage the unload belt"...
Didn't Corner Equipment go **** up?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Did you ever wrap those paddles up with flax?
You’d definitely remember that!
one time strait cutting canaryseed it was late Oct. 1996 straw was starting to wrap on the reels it let the wad in and wrapped on the paddles the humidity was high I didn't blame the paddles I shouldn't been out there the straw was rank. As far as flax never had a problem, but we always swathed our flax so the straw was dry and usually froze out. I was always told that adding 2 bats per paddle would solve the wrapping issue.

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts
I was always told that adding 2 bats per paddle would solve the wrapping issue.
Yes, remember something about adding paddles.
MF claimed the paddles fed smoother which I think was true and that they were quieter which would definitely be true.
Not that that mattered when your engine was right beside your ear.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Did you ever wrap those paddles up with flax?
You’d definitely remember that!
Only two combines I never once plugged the feeder on was 751 Massey of dad's and my Versy TA...something I think of when that reverser on the 1682 can't hack it and I'm having to get physical swinging that bloody wrench lol

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hey Don were is the engine sitting in your tractor? I always said if they would of built the cab sound proofed like they do on tractors it wouldn't of mattered.

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts
Hey Don were is the engine sitting in your tractor? I always said if they would of built the cab sound proofed like they do on tractors it wouldn't of mattered.
Not as cozy as an MF plus sound deadening technology and/or MF bean counters made them very noisy even for that era.
I don’t think even the engines themselves make as much noise now.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
So I havn't had time for an in depth conversation but there was some issues nothing huge . The biggest problem was service knowlege and parts availability . But after considering that he had learned allot and was going to need to keep some parts he purchased another 490 at the Regina auction .

·
Registered
409 Posts
The biggest issue with the paddles was the feeder floor would get bent down. Our neighbor discovered this and when we jacked up the angle iron under the floor all the issues went away. We added paddles, replaced paddles, screwed with the timing and nothing worked until we straightened the floor. As a positive displacement pump, the floor was critical to the effectiveness of the paddles. Funny what a guy can remember from so many years back. Dug up this post because I still see ads floating around for cheap versatile combines. Very tempting...

41 - 54 of 54 Posts