The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new class 8 machine. Deere, CIH, and Versatile are the only dealers in my area.

Considering the new Russia made 'Versatile RT490' class 8 machine. The dealer tells me this machine will do about 5 to 15% more tonnes per hour with the same losses compared to other class 8 machines. Apparently the the key the cylinder design. I have has great success with my Versatile 4WDs over the years, so I like the Versatile brand. The RT490 is also has a lot lower initial cost.

Also, the Versatile dealer is telling me the materials and engineering in RT490 are world class. (Including Cummins engines). He says long term durability will beat Deere or Case IH.

Currently run a 9780 but looking to upgrade.

Wheat the main crop.

Has anyone ran the RT490 with other machines? Any input would greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Well i run 8120s pretty much the same as the 8230, but really would you actually get the versatile over the Deere and the Case?????????

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'm curious as well, the rotating concaves sounds like a good idea. Hope somebody can give us some info on the versatile combine experience.

F

·
0 Posts
I going to hazard a guess, that it may have had some difficulties. Other wise I would suspect that Versatile would be all over the farm publications marketing there machine, and telling us all how great it is.

My dad and I were at our versatile dealer after harvest this year talking to the sales guy about something completely different. The conversation did get turned to the versatile combine. His feelings were somewhat less than favourable and from what he had seen of the machine, figured that they needed to step it up a whole lot of bunches to get on par with the other lines that he sells. Told us that if we hear that he has brought on that line of machines that we are both to come out to the shop and slap some sense into him.

Maybe there will be some info about them at the Red Deer show in a week or so.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I believe the combine is going to be at Agri-trade, I will give it a look over, something different is always interesting.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just remember if it moves it will break. Color means very little in todays market. Part of your buying decision should always be support. In the end that will be the deciding factor. I know performance and price are important too but if you make a good deal on a machine that does a great job but can't get parts or service you got a big paper weight. With all the electronics on the machines now it isn't just a simple loose wire or blown fuse. You have to have trained people to hook up with lap tops to tell you what is wrong. Don't forget about parts. Cat can't get a step up down here because of service & parts. Their nearest service center is 90 miles away and their parts dept are basically a mail order depot.
I like the idea of the "NEW" Versatile design but that is a Russian machine. How many parts are in North America and how many people know how to work on it. Just some thoughts that you ought to be considering. Hope some of this rambling helps.

·
Super Moderator
3,063 Posts
The one thing that is interesting is "farmbuddy" pointing out here that the 490 rotor/concave counter rotates and all testing shows it should co-rotate.
Pretty bad fundamental error seems to me.:(

·
Registered
603 Posts
Come on guys the Versatile was tested on" 2000 acres of various crops in western canada" its gotta be bulletproof with all that testing. haha did anyone else ever notice that in their ad?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Im not sure about the Versatile combine, it seems awfully crude. Stick to what you know, they know tractors, I love their tractors. A half-assed attempt to enter an already cutthroat combine market doesn't make any sense. All of the Versatile dealers that I know of are scared of this conglomeration, and I don't blame them. The machine seems like a modern day belarus combine in Versatile skin, the chances of this being succesfull don't seem to be very high. Its a russian combine, put whatever name on it you want, thats what it is.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I switched fr a 9770 to a 8120. I am sold on hyd rotor. If I plug it in canola, I simply put it in deslug mode, have a coke and some chips, while the combine works it out. Deere has some nice features but I'm not going back. I would say, try it out and do what is right for your farm.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would take the price of a new versatile spend that on a used case or if you like green paint a john deere at least if you go to trade you are not trying to get rid of a dog if the versatile don't work out

·
Registered
103 Posts
I kinda looked one over at Husker Harvest Days in Grand Island, NE. The only thing that impressed me was the Cummins engine. The engine compartment was not very user friendly. Ladder sucked and had to climb over things to access the engine. The rest of the combine I thought looked very crude as mentioned above.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts