The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Got the speciality rotor and wheat is not that dry 19% . Set the lower sieve really wide, wind 1050, concave tight, rotor speed 950 with large wire rear concave and middle concave being small wire with every other wire pulled out. The rotor loss can be huge ! Tried wide or narrow concave setting and tried slowing rotor down (that made it worse). Do you think altering vane setting would help ? At present the only thing I can do is crawl down the field at present....

Used to have 1460 standard rotor and it never had this kind of problem, it is very embarrasing as I have had axial flows for over 25 years !

I have never altered vane setting before... Any help would be most appreciated

·
Registered
22 Posts
Changing the vanes to the slowest setting should help.

I suggest doing a kill stall and opening the lower tailings elevator boot and seeing how much is in there. If it is a lot you should try running with the boot/door open and seeing if that solves your rotor loss problem. Then you will know you need to focus on reducing the tailings. This is easier to do than changing vanes so I would try this first.

If neither of the above work you could trying installing some keystock grates if you have not already. Or if you have slotted grates you could move the channels so they are not over the slots.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
vanes in middle, what kind of wheat, if its hard threshing wheat put interruper bars in concave in first two sections, scott.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I did try fan flat out and rotor flat out plus tight concave, it did improve. Better than slow rotor. During the day I stopped and pulled every other wire out in the middle concave and that did help but when it throws it out of the rotor...wow. These ideas were what I thought might solve it but I was thinking is it the right answer..

I have interupter bars, never used, wondering is there a down side to them ? I can put them on the first concave. Of coarse the wheat was damp, up to 20%. It has the keystop grates too

·
Registered
118 Posts
How many hours are on your concaves? Good square edges on the concave bars restrict the flow and cause a good thrash. Cover plates will also help your thrash. Your standard rotor was a better thrashing rotor then the specility, more bar to concave contact.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does need new rasp bars, was wondering if to use Gordons as he did that mod for the speciality rotor. I bought rasp bars & cover plates from Gordon before for the 1460's (we had 2 of them but still have one 1460 and it makes a brillient job with very liitle loss)

I will do a kill stall tommorow, I slowed the vanes down at the back, improved a bit but wheat is getting drier.

It is nice to have help, there are not many case combines around here.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I also run separator bars on the rear of the rotor. Vanes in middle position but I've never cut wheat over 17%. I would start by slowing the vanes down as that is easiest. Like an early post said, excessive tailings could also be causing it. Try a kill stall and see if the shoe is overloaded. That may be a possibility in wet wheat with wires removed in the concave and keystock grates. In my experience, the wetter the wheat, the easier it is to overload the shoe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Andrewjohn,
I have a 2388 with specialty rotor and was having significant rotor loss even with the gordon bars installed and between the replies i got on this forum and having Marvin Gordon visit me just before harvest, i managed to reduce it to a level i was happy with.
I used to have problem with white heads as well in my sample and found that after changing to the Gorden bars i was able to reduce them quite a lot and rotor loss a little bit, but was not totally happy.
So Marvin had me totally blank off the front concave and the first half of the second. That allowed me to thresh the heads with a slightly wider concave setting and open the bottom shoe significantly as i was getting a very good thresh. Also had full blast or close to it.
Still had some rotor loss in our 11 tonne/ha crop at 17% moisture.
So then Marvin suggested i take out every second wire on the large wire concaves following the blanked ones until the rotor loss reduced.(you need to put little 1/4 inch bolts in the holes where you have pulled wires to stop spearing) Ran rotor around 840.
I was amazed at the difference and ran similar settings in Barley.
I had tried playing around with the vanes before all this, but it didn't change the result significantly and you should always slow the first ones down first i was always told.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today much drier,. 15% and rotor loss is down and not so bad, also straw better. But...loads of dust and cooked alternator, so annoying as this was a problem with the 1460 and I kept a toothbrush jammed next to the air cleaner so always handy to clean.

Anyway, using the 1460 with small wire but cover plates on 1st concave and grates and standard rotor. There is nearly 0 % rotor loss ! The engine holds at 2580 rpm with 950 rotor and goes like heck ! This 1460 is really good and the cab is noisy but so enjoyable !

I will for next year change the rasp bars on the 2188 and get the same cover plates.

Thank you to everyone for your help with this,

Cheers Andrew

·
Registered
105 Posts
Are you keeping an even feed and load going through, keeping your rotor speed constant and high is very important, if you are bogging or sending slugs through or rotor belt/pulley slipping you will puke wheat out. With a speciality rotor you have to get it over 1000 rpm, maxed out with a two speed gearbox. Everything (belt adjustments, pulleys, torque sensing unit, belt) has to be in A-1 perfect condition to do this and maintain rpm under load on a 21.

Also how do you know forsure its rotor loss, are you sure you're not sloughing grain out with the chaff cause of not enough air? Sure you don't have a grain leak or something somewhere?

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts