The Combine Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I grow both Brandon and Veiwfeild side by side. This will be my second yr doing so and last. This yr really showed the difference between the 2 varitys and I will be selling all my Brandon in favor of growing strictly Veiwfeild for 2020. Both are excellent yeilders and both have excellent standablity however 290 fn vs 237 fn tells the story. Veiwfeild also thrashes slightly easier. Redberry has caught my eye... any experience on this variety?
Our Redberry looked very good until it started to head out, then it started lodging. Compared to Connery and Viewfield, it lodged horribly, so I am not sure if the early maturity is enough to make us grow it again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Second year with Redberry here. Second year with well below average rainfall. Didn’t get much favourable weather this harvest but it held a number 1 CWRS on all but one field. Protein was decent but yield suffered from the lack of summer rain. It’s too tall for my liking ( Manipulator candidate) and we also find it harder to get a clean sample when compared to Go. Thinking I should have went with Elie instead. 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
137 Posts
Second year with Redberry here. Second year with well below average rainfall. Didn’t get much favourable weather this harvest but it held a number 1 CWRS on all but one field. Protein was decent but yield suffered from the lack of summer rain. It’s too tall for my liking ( Manipulator candidate) and we also find it harder to get a clean sample when compared to Go. Thinking I should have went with Elie instead. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Just wondering if any guys tried Cameron wheat. I have tried it now for two years and not impressed. Will go back to the tried and proven Brandon. Even a local field test showed Brandon gave an increase of 6 bushel an acre over Cameron . I grew Brandon and Cameron side by side on my farm without manipulator and had a 9 bushel difference on a half section. Viewfield yielded just slightly more than the brandon but only by a bushel at this test site . This test sight was in Morris, mb and on heavey clay soil. I tried Cameron because I know the wheat breeder( Santosh Kumer ) and he assured me Cameron was better than Bandon in fus and higher yield. Manitoba seed guide confirms that but with limited data. I tried it because of the midge tolerance gene and lower fus. Fool me once shame on you, it wont be twice! I think if Ag Canada wants to charge more for their variety development they better make sure their new varieties are worth more to the farmer. I know it takes around ten years to bring out a variety and I know Ag Canada is in transition now with a few new wheat breeders. Ron DePauw retired a few years back and is responsible for our best wheat varieties we have grown across the prairies. I guess we will have to have patience until new guys get more experience. You just cant replace Ron that easily!
For now its Brandon.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Definitely going with go. As in all wheat has to go. What a dead end road.

Brandon didn’t weather worth a **** here and it didn’t even seem that bad.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts