The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 04 8010 that runs smooth as can be until it reaches about 85% engine load. When it gets above 85% it will jump up to above 100% in a couple of seconds. Then the combine starts to shake left to right and pulls the engine down real hard and it about shakes you out of your seat. If I stop dead and let the power drop back down it runs fine again until I reach a higher engine load. It likes to do it more often when you go down a hill and then head straight back up or turning around on an end. It seems to be happening more and more often. Don't know if the rotor is out of balance, if it is wouldn't it always run rough? Also it just started saying the rotor loss average is at 30 or 40% but i figured it was a sensor because the loss seems to be the same as before, also when i shut the separator off it still says there is rotor loss. The combines got about 1200 separator hours and were combining 160 bushel corn thats 21%. Nothing to taxing on it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Sounds to me like you have some transport veins missing. My 7010 started doing that same thing when we were finishing up. I looked in the rotor cage and didn't see any missing but i am sure if I do a more thorough job looking I will find a vein missing or broken somewhere. Mine would do it when I took a little to much trash in... it would just about choke the combine and it would pull the engine rpm way down and beep and the rotor felt like i was combining beans and ran a slug into it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Sounds like your combine is bunch feeding into the rotor from the feeder housing and the threshing/seperating system can't handle all the material at once when it does feed in, you will see the rotor loss like you mentioned and lug the engine. When this happens watch the material exiting from the rear of the machine, it will be coming out in bunches rather than a nice even flow like it should be.
If your concave is too far open the machine could respond this way also, try tightening the concave up some and see if it solves the problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was awfully nervous when I read the first two posts about it being an engine problem, we only had 10 acres left and the snow was coming so I figured I'd see if she'd limp across the finish line. Got it out there and ran it as hard as I could up and down the hills, never had an issue with it today so now I'm really confused. Also rotor loss was up to 50 at first then went back down to 1 or 2 after a round and stayed there. I'm not very familiar with these Case combines we've only had this thing this year and are debating whether or not to run it off the farm. Can't beat it when it runs, but real frustrating when it doesn't. I'll check the transport veins if I can figure out where they are and the concaves could've been an issue as we haven't been able to change where there set, the motor went out and the dealer isn't interested in doing much with it. Yippee! Guess I've got all winter to figure it out thanks for the help.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm thinking dirt/snow/ice/mud buildup on the chaffer/shoe or rotor throwing it out of balance intermittently. Something like that would cause your problem to change with the weather.

Or maybe it's just wagging its tail cuz its wants attention. Have your scratched its ears lately?

·
Registered
809 Posts
You were probably having "rotor rumble" when your combine was doing the shake and roll. This has been discussed in the posts above. Fodder moisture, having the concaves set too wide, flattened or missing vanes, and slow rotor speed cause this. Maybe your fodder dried out and that's why you didn't have it happen when you finished up.

Rotor rumble in a 8010 is nothing like it used to be. The old 1480 with a standard rotor in tough soybeans when the dew is coming on, that's rotor rumble

Wir is correct in his post. There are a lot of updates that could/should have been done to your 2004 model 8010.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Rotor rumble putting you out of the seat? Come on? I don't know cuz i dont own one, but find it hard to believe that case would go to market with something that bad. Am i wrong?

Something that bad should be easy to find. I would start looking at shaker bearings, and missing rotor bits, assuming the seives aren't loaded up with heavy crap.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Get used to replacing that concave adjust motor. They last about 1.1-1.5 seasons for me... what a joke of a thing that is.

If all your transport veins look ok it could also be that the rotor cage has been shifted. I looked at mine again and couldn't find a vein missing but I noticed that the rotor cage is shifted way over to the right. The dealer tells me now that they remember doing that before we got it (as the machine had 200hrs on it when we bought it).

This is an adjustment you can make on these machines to change where the main "pinch point" is in the rotor. It appears that mine is shifted to far to the right creating a large gap between the rotor and the cage on the right side (looking at the machine from behind), which i think was impeading flow a little bit. But my loss didn't go up when this happened... my tailing would go through the roof.

Frustrating combines to set imo.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You obviously have never been on one that does this. My 1680 in milo with green stalks can just about shake you out of the combine. First time it happened I thought the rotor had come apart.

Since we have had a hard freeze and the stalks have dried down it doesn't do it anymore. It is real, but since it didn't happen the last day I would say the stalks got dry enough that it stopped.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd have to say it was more than likely rotor rumble. We were combining some real leafy downed corn when it was 15 degrees out with snow flying through the combine cause it was sitting on the leaves. It was not what you would call ideal conditions.
Since it worked itself out it doesn't seem like it could've been an engine problem or pieces of the rotor missing. I'll have to check to make sure those updates were done, they said they were done when they sold it to us, but we didn't know what were looking for and it was salesman. So who knows.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
look on left hand side, pulley that drives shoe, is it loose, will shake heck out of machine, its out of time, seen it happen once, scott.

·
Registered
423 Posts
i would take out all the concaves and inspect everything it shure sounds in the rotor also just to rule one more thing ckeck the chopper hammers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts