The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Good question. It could be one of the big multi-national grain companies like Cargill, ADM, or Bunge. On the other hand, Wall Street's been watching the grain business since the hedge funds got in back in 1988. Perhaps a gazillionaire like Warren Buffet? I wonder who leaked the news to the TSX?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Maybe Mayo started the rumors to try to up their share price, and try to get a bidding war started so he can bail with a crap load of cash. Hows that for a wild ass guess.

·
Registered
198 Posts
cargill. not sure that it would be all that bad. Im guessing who ever is wanting to buy will be more savy with the farm supply end of it than mayo ever was. Not great for the independants.

·
Registered
382 Posts
cargill. not sure that it would be all that bad. Im guessing who ever is wanting to buy will be more savy with the farm supply end of it than mayo ever was. Not great for the independants.
Cargill is probably not much of an option since they are also in the grain handling business. Viterra has 45% of the grain handling business in the Prairies, I doubt anti-trust authorities would allow a takeover by Cargill. And then the Harper government will probably block any sale to a foreign company like it did with Potash.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I heard it was Bunge, it may not be a bad idea if they get bought out. Then they might have to sell off some assets because of becoming too big and monopolizing in certain areas. (That's all just some vague guessing on my part:confused::confused:) I thinnk Viterra was becoming too big and not doing a very good job as far as farmer/grainbuyer relation. They kept buying up various mills (oats and canola) and then lowering the price farmers received. All that did was make a bunch of farmers angry around here and they actually lost sales.

As a company I don't think they did that good anyways since their share price stayed fairly flat even though they acquired a lot of assets around the world. Just my 2 unimportant cents to fuel more speculation on the world wide web of missinformation;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
just what we need less compeition its bad enough with the colusion and market control the big companies have over the fert market atleast with the grain markets they seem to compete still i hope its not one less competitor making its even less buyers in the market. My bet of who i would say not cargill they are family owned and although big i cant seem them taking a risk that large but adm is huge down south and now the cwb is an option maybe they are looking to get a share of the canadian and australian market. Maybe its pcs they would have the cash then they can set the price of what we buy and of what we sell lol

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'm trying to get the glass 3/4 full by dreaming that the equity I lost when the SWP went public would magically have some value so I can get more than $2.00 dividends that they would rather give to Telamiracle than me .I can't imagine any company doing a more thorough job of screwing it's shareholders then hanging them out to dry and the sooner they are gone the better.Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Maybe Mayo started the rumors to try to up their share price, and try to get a bidding war started so he can bail with a crap load of cash. Hows that for a wild ass guess.
Would not put it past mayo but if I had to bet my money would be on ADM

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
I don't know who they are really, but I will guess Glencore because they are the other name that I heard throughout the day after this news broke! Seem to be more in minerals and mining that ag, but they do have some commodity capacity in Russia.

Mostly, when it is Glencore, I want to be able to have the 1st post predicting it. If I am wrong, I'll just delete the post!

·
Registered
419 Posts
just what we need less compeition its bad enough with the colusion and market control the big companies have over the fert market atleast with the grain markets they seem to compete still i hope its not one less competitor making its even less buyers in the market.
Yeah, I'm worried much more about consolidation of input suppliers and grain handlers then I'm worried about the loss of the CWB. I'm generally for the government to keep it's nose out of business since usually it just screws things up. However, I hope they carefully review any mergers of major ag business players. I think Viterra already is getting a bit too dominate, at least in our parts. The smaller suppliers are definitely feeling the squeeze. Once they are pushed out, then what?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts