The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the wild oat herbicides are registered only for use in wheat. Do any of them have any activity on barley, to the point where you could use them to effectively manage volunteer barley in a wheat on barley rotation? Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
If you accidentally sprayed one of the unregistered products on a barley field it would probably severely hurt the barley. When you want to hurt the barley growing in your wheat it usually doesn't even hurt it.
Clearfield wheat is your only sure option.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I planted some spring wheat on barley stubble this year. I didn't have any volunteer barley at harvest, but I feel like that was attributed more to my pre-plant burn down with roundup.

We had good moisture this spring and I also harrowed the field which gave me good germination of the volunteer.

I also sprayed Everest 2.0 which does not have control, but felt like it might clean a few stragglers up.

I will admit I felt like I was rolling the dice and not sure I would do it again unless I use clearfield.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
I sprayed most of our wheat with Sulfursulfuron (monza) last year to control the barley in our seed. It definitely suppressed the barley, had nowhere near the count in the sample. Wish I hadn't listen to the experts and sprayed the lot.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Used generic Horizon (signal) on wheat to get rid of wild oats and does a number on volunteer Barley

·
Super Moderator
5,036 Posts
Used generic Horizon (signal) on wheat to get rid of wild oats and does a number on volunteer Barley
It is so condition dependent though.
In central Alberta I've seen Horizon do just as a good a job on barley as the wild oats, but I've also seen it do no more to the barley than the wheat. May even be varietal.
Don't think most would hang their hat on PFL but I guess you could spray it and hope for the best.

Good question, maybe something is out there that works better.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Back in the 80's when Triumph Plus was new (fenoxaprop), we found that it was too hard on the wheat at full rate so by cutting the rate to about 2/3 and topping up the MCPA to full rate it did a decent job of wildoat control and not too hard on the wheat. As a bonus , even at 2/3 rate there was some serious suppression of volunteer barley. A few years later the same company came out with Champion, another version of fenoxaprop at 59% the rate of Triumph. You might as well have sprayed the barley with Roundup! So Champion did not last long. Bayer is still pushing hard through programs to sell fenoxaprop packaged as Puma Super. They claim it now has "safeners" in it and does not do damage to the wheat any more. I will not use Puma Super after too many bad experiences but maybe in a real emergency it might be an option to save a wheat crop from volunteer barley.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Been there done that with horizon. DONT DO IT!!!! It did a real number on the barley but it came back. It only sets it back it doesn't kill it. Puma Super is also registered for barley, don't try it either. We ended up with a 50-50 split of wheat and barley. Light barley at that. Clear field system would probably work but don't try gambling with anything that MIGHT suppress it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In 2013, I did a quarter of clearfield wheat following barley (my 2nd year farming, air seeder with 11" shovels). Wet year & seeded late, banded & seeded with the air seeder. The cultivation killed a lot of the 'early' barley. Had fairly uniform emergence & at 4 leaf I hit it with Altitude FX2, 1/2 shot of Curtail M & MCPA (next year peas). Honestly the only barley I found was in the odd miss (walked the entire field). Worked well. Overlaps burnt the wheat fairly well. Sprayed fungicide @ flag (could've used a second shot after 2 weeks). I'd say fungicide would be a must. If you seed peas remember Odyssey won't kill the wheat you'll have to use a group 1 (I used Odyssey DLX).

·
Registered
477 Posts
As kinda mentioned earlier, let this be your last field planted to wheat....if u r planting lotsa acres, something needs be planted later...your burn off will control more volunteers by then...IMO use horizon in crop or a generic, or perhaps the clearfield wheat system...heavy barley stubble on the soil surface, will retain surface moisture real well too...perhaps you are straightening out a field or creating a bigger field? In Canada the tolerance to foreign grains is 2%....remember the "solution to pollution is dilution" so you can internally market this field's production with others that are barley free....possibly various grain companies "might" work with you too with their stocks....I think past research showed wheat after barley to be just fine to even best (vs even broadleaf crops)in terms of yield, disease issues were not significant as different diseases in barley, and finally maybe it was in drier years that the 90 day barley crop stubble provided higher yields vs 100+ day other crop stubble due to more subsoil moisture

·
Registered
477 Posts
Do you remember the cute packaging they used?
Asked a friend of mine, what did you think of the jug with Refine in the dent on the side?
What Refine?
800 acres sprayed.
Without the refine.

A little too cute a packaging.
I was a university summer student sales position in W Mb with Agrevo in this launch or 2nd year of '91 growing season...yes chemical disposal sites were easy to find "free" Refine for my Sask farm

·
Registered
233 Posts
all the grp 1/2 wild oat sprays will likely damage barley and mayble let wheat get ahead.... but will rarely kill it so still will have contamination problems. Clearfield wheat is only way to get vol barley if dead set on seeding wheat on barley stble.....

on the variety thing..... I've gotten lucky seeding wheat onto malt barley stubble a couple times. malt seems to have less volunteers in it than feed especially if you had a wet fall. It is bred to germinate as soon as its wet!

Other option is to seed a GP wheat - a little barley contamination won't affect feed wheat.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Do you remember the cute packaging they used?
Asked a friend of mine, what did you think of the jug with Refine in the dent on the side?
What Refine?
800 acres sprayed.
Without the refine.

A little too cute a packaging.
Yup, first time Dad tried it that way unintentionally, but he learned fast.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.