The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any safe chemical to spray in peas at early flower to kill volunteer canola. And if there is can it be tank mixed with delaro?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Is there any safe chemical to spray in peas at early flower to kill volunteer canola. And if there is can it be tank mixed with delaro?
Basagran will smoke it even if it's bolted but label says prior to flowering. Phone BASF and ask for the off label folks see what they say.

My guess is that it will bronze it and abort some flowers and grow through it but I'd probably do a test strip first and wait a few days and see.

Depends on how bad the canola pressure is. Peaola isn't the worst thing in the world. Not like canola-bean where it takes 10 bushel off the top.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
How much canola is there? Would it be possible to just let it intercrop together? Some people seem to have decent luck doing that, I've never tried it. Maybe staging is all wrong?

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I thought you might be able to tickle it with some mcpa but label says before buds.

I’d just never drive by that field then hold your nose when it comes time to harvest!

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I wish I had the luxury to ignore volunteer canola. I'm heading out tonight to spray some volunteer canola in a field for a neighbor.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Would the canola be high enough above the peas that you could maybe rent a weed wick? Or whatever they're called and get them that way?

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
You'd have to go through the field multiple times with a weed wick I think. If volunteers are that bad, they are going to keep popping up all season.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If it's bad enough... Leave it and try peaola. Might net you more in the end.

Unless you're in a clubroot area. Might want to kill it in that case if canola this year would push your rotation.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The canola is small yet. Germinated after our first significant rain about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I had sprayed the first pass with 1/4 Rate pursuit before the rain. It maybe looks to be making them kinda sick right now. Just gonna leave it hopefully the pursuit residual holds it back enough that it won’t get too ugly. Thanks for the suggestions though

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Losses off the combine in canola can sometimes have a big impact on next years crop. Volunteer canola can be a real pain in the but to control the following year. We try not to push our combines too hard in canola so we can keep the losses very low.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
I know of guys having good luck seeding peas and mustard together. Harvesting them together. Worth a try? One of the first times I heard of it a guy had lots of volunteer mustard in peas. Made $90/acre on the mustard when done. This was 5-8 years ago now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts