The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any feedback on volvo tractors. 2007 model with 465hp volvo engine, 18 sp. Comments on ride,reliability,etc.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have an older Volvo truck and here is my take on them.

The ride on the Volvo trucks is as good as it gets.
Conponents are about the same as all other trucks so reliability is equal.
Volvo only components such as engines have a great name for reliability and performance, but usually have to go back to a volvo dealer for repair as not many other mechanics carry the knowledge or specialized tools, because there are not a lot of volvo engines out. If you live close to a volvo shop you will be fine, remember their shop rate is higher than a independant mechanics, so buy your used truck right to afford the higher shop rate.
Resale will be worse than a KW or PETE, so make sure you are paying less up front. If you are looking to buy it and keep it till it is dead, it will be a great purchase.

I have 2 KW and 1 Volvo and I would buy another Volvo again if the price was 60% of the KW, which is what it was when I bought mine. Remember that the engine it tucked more under the cab in a volvo than it is on long nose pete or kw, and even a little more than a T800 kw. This will cost more in mechanics time for some repairs. I saved enough on initial purchase that this does not bother me at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 1999 Volvo with a 60 series detriot turned to about 415 HP. does fine for pulling a 40 ft hopper bottom around the place and into town. 13 spd Eaton Fuller.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Volvo tractors have a nice ride and a quiet cab. One of the best things depending on the model is that they have a small turning radius, which makes getting into tight spaces and narrow approaches much easier than trucks that do not turn as tight.

For my operation a 18 speed transmission is the best, great for getting a heavy load rolling on soft ground and a 465 Hp engine is a nice size.

If I was looking for another truck that one would sound very interesting.

·
Registered
148 Posts
mpvfarms stated that 465 hp and an 18 speed are a bit of overkill. Well depends on what and were the truck is to be used. I've seen a 500hp crap its pants pulling a set of super b's loaded to the 9's in hills. We have had 50 tonnes (55.5 tons) of wheat on a super b at harvest time, off the main highway on hills, and 600 hp would be perfect. Never enough horsepower is the saying.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Go for an 18 speed, they are worth every penny. We have a Kenworth and a Pete with an 18 speed/425hp and a 13 speed/431 hp respectively. The Kenworth is twice the truck because it has an 18 speed. Normal driving on roads I never split the bottom half, but if your pulling out of a soft field you will love the 18 speed. Next truck will be 500 hp minimum and an 18 speed.

No experience with a Volvo except when I did my 1A. Seemed like a solid truck to drive. Not sure about the one your looking at, but the gauges on the dash are a little too 'car like'. They are more of an idiot light then anything. The air pressure gauge was the worst, there was like 4 indicating marks (0,30,50,90,130, or something like that). It was hard to do an air test as the slightest movement of the needle was about 5 psi. That was my only problem with the truck itself.

Good luck.

·
Registered
839 Posts
"No replacement for displacement" is the saying. We do things to a truck here in sugarbeet country that woud make you boys cry for momma.

·
Premium Member
4,043 Posts
mvp i dont follow you, you say is 465 hp to much for a farm truck, then say no replacement for displacement. do you prefer lot of cubes and no hp?

·
Registered
839 Posts
yup run our 300 hp n-14 past numerous higher hp l-10 m-11 all day long. If you are pulling super b's I'm sure 18 gears would be great but for just a farm use truck that is more shifting than i am interested in.

·
Premium Member
4,043 Posts
a lot of farm trucks up here do pull super b's making a 18 speed and 430 plus hp a must have. you may get by with less gears if you are always on hard ground and no hills.

·
Registered
434 Posts
From my experience the Volvo trucks are some of the best built and dependable trucks there are. The Volvo engines are the most reliable engine available in NA. I agree with the other posters though that you may be limited to a dealer for service on the odd occasion that you need it. There are only two problems with Volvos. One if you expect it to ride and handle like a truck, it doesn't... think luxury car.
Two, owning a Volvo is about like a Massey tractor, you better like it 'cause you'll own it until it's time for the scrapyard.

Ben

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
We have two 1995 volvos. Seems like they are ok. No resale value on them but they are cheaper to buy. The only thing I was told to watch on them was the front cab mounts by the firewall like to crack out.

·
Registered
657 Posts
i think you would be happy with a volvo they ride nice turn good and are quiet. i would say go with big horsepower you won't regret it. after you buy it you will be glad you did if you dont need it now you never know what the future will bring.the extra hp. wont hurt anything but it will be there when you want it we have 550 horse motors that get the same millage as 350 horse when pulling the same wt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts