The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I was wondering who is doing variable rate corn population planting? My planter can do it but I always thought I didn't have the data to tell me where to put more or less seeds in the field.

Last year I got some soil maps from the soil Optix technology
Practical Precision Inc. | SoilOptix?

I would like to use that accurate information to try do some variable seed corn planting.

I'm just wondering, what information would you use to put more or less seed in the ground? Some did it with many years of yield data but I find this alone isn't the best.

I have access to -sand and clay map
- Organic matter map
- Water retention map
- nutrients
- PH
-Hydraulic saturated capacity

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I would probably look at all of them and then decide which one makes the most sense to you. I would think the om map would work good.

·
Registered
849 Posts
it will take time to get it dialed in. each year you can look at soil/harvest maps to start building data.

I am going vr next year, but will do some fixed pop test strips just for research.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah from what I've read so far, I'll probably have 4 different population with a 4000 seeds difference between each to compare the yield and the different soil maps. I'd like to compare Variable rate with diffrent fixed rate for sure. Wondering of I mix yiled data and soil data to make my VRS map. CEC would probably be a good info as well I think

·
Registered
609 Posts
From what I've learned, the system that one co-op uses in this area uses 3 layers of information to come up with their zones. IIRC, they use yield maps, soil maps and the third usually depends on what the specific producer has available. Then they compile these together and away they go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts