The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
It can be very hard or we seem to find it so in getting someone over the years that we even trust to run anything and of course even the yahoos out there that are clueless would expect the world because this is oilfield country in the Peace. For some years now though we've had an older gentleman who we've always known anyway, to run one of our 2 JD 9600's and he also has his class 1 so those times we need a truck brought out to the field in the morning or taken home at night, he's fully capable of doing that as well. Having someone that is careful and has a clue what he is doing pays in the long run a few fold. I believe its $30 an hour we pay him although we have thrown in some bonus funds as well for those more stressful harvests ;).

You could present it either as just a straight hourly wage for the guesstimate of time required for the fall or a wage with a bonus ( $ 1000.00 for example ) for staying to the end, which means if he obviously was never meant to be on your farm, he wouldn't be getting a bonus as you would have sent him on his way to McDonald's to sweep floors.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
In Southern Alberta I was paying $24/hr with a $5/hr harvest completion bonus and I still had a **** of a time finding guys and they were all horrible. Only one finished harvest, but only because he came out from Nova Scotia. He did rear end someone in the city in one of my trucks on a rainy day off. Cops said he had a beer or two in his system. Fortunately for him we were still so desperate for guys at the time and couldn't hardly send him packing.

Trying to look into finding a way to get better employees rather than relying on the classifieds. What methods do other people use? I'd like to look into some of these foreign exchange programs.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I pay my guys $25/hr told them if they got there class one it would be $30 nobody had got it yet guess I will continue hauling the grain. We have oil patch and the potash mines around us the mines pay well north of $40/hr plus excellent pension etc

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Because I cant afford $40 the guy that works for me on his days off from the mine would likely work for $15 hr he just loves running equipment good solid operator can put him swathing and not hear from him all day its great
And that's maybe where the problem is. Saving a penny and losing 100$. Not spending an extra 150 bucks a day vs doubling harvest capacity? That takes what, 2 minutes of combining?

Are farmers too cheap to pay the going rate? I probably am, but certainly will have to rethink that.

·
Registered
169 Posts
And that's maybe where the problem is. Saving a penny and losing 100$. Not spending an extra 150 bucks a day vs doubling harvest capacity? That takes what, 2 minutes of combining?

Are farmers too cheap to pay the going rate? I probably am, but certainly will have to rethink that.

very well said, we have a full time diesel mechanic with 1A that is making $40.00 hr and worth every cent plus a company truck and fuel, also lead hand is making 30 after 5 yrs of service. two local young guys have helped us seasonally and they make 25 and hour plus year end bonus...things can get way more costly when you are short handed for a big job in a small window! ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.