The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run a 540 Massey with a 43 corn head. I know that a 540 is not known for capacity but we never have had this much trouble would like some tips if you have any. Started running corn a couple days ago. It was 25% and stalks still alittle green and corn prolly makin around 250 wet bushels (no B. S.). The head is gettin alot of trash to go through the combine. I have the snapping plates a little wide at 1 5/16 at front and 1 1/2 rear. Hate to go wider than that. Cylinder at 500 RPM and getting it all off the cob and a clean tank sample. BUT plugged walkers 3 times and can only go as slow as combine will go to prevent it. I can almost get out of cab and walk around combine its so slow! Any tips appreciated.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Main issue is that the 540 was not designed for 250 bpa corn. May have to let it dry down a bit more. Possibly take a half swath? I am not a massey guy so I am not much help.

Where are you located? Is 250 bpa way above average? I realize that you are talking wet bushels, but that still should be 215-225 dry. At least you can smile and count the bushels as you are creeping along!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are in south west Ohio. Been blessed with great corn yields in last couple years. Av prolly more like 175. Last year this farm av. 233 dry bu.. My Agrigold test plot winner went 265 last year but most the corn we run last year was 5-7 pts dryer and seemed less green. Wondered if new stalk roll flutes would help much? When I was little we raised hogs and it was common to run a little 30% corn early to grind feed with but that corn only made bout 150.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Amazing how much better things go when you tighten up a loose belt. I had the belt off that runs from the rear beater shaft to rear of the combine to put in a new clean grain auger. I had not tightened it near enough. I should not be so honest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.