The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey new here. Farm in southern michigan. we do about 2700 acres of corn soybeans and alfafa and also run a dairy. our 1200 acres of corn is around 160bpa and 1200 acres of soybean is around 50bpa on a average year. We currnently are running 2 7720's both 20ft platforms and 6 row corn heads a grain cart and 2 semis. we like our 7720s because we can do all the work ourselves. a couple neighbors have 9510, 9550 and 9660s I was wondering if we took both 7720s out and just ran one combine what would be a proven combine. Im kind of thinking a 9560sts but i was wondering what you guys thought?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would go to a 9760. We currently own one, love it to death. Its nice to be able to run just one combine especially when I run about 2-3 thousand acres at about the same bushels per acre.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Go for the bigger Rotor. If you are trying to replace two machines you don't want to short yourself with the 9560

·
Registered
40 Posts
If your goin to stick with a John Deere id go for 9760 with the bullet rotor and 30ft plus header for for sure. I'm not sure a smaller machine will have the same capacity as two 7720

·
Registered
293 Posts
For the amount of acreage you cover every year and for a better price i would go with a Gleaner R-62, R-65 or a case 2388 great machines can do what a 9770 will do for about thirty thousand less, cleaner bin every time, and alot less parts. Take it from experience. Good luck

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I agree silver72man, except if you keep your eyes peeled you can find those machines for 130k less then a 9760/70. I've seen a 1680 cut as much as 2 8820's in wheat.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
If you need straw for the dairy, we run one two, say away from a rotary. You either need to be looking at a bigger conventional or a lexion. We've tried full rotaries and baling behind them is impossible.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You are exactly right farminflyboy many of these rotary combines can out perform the ole john deere walker machines. Why spend $200,000+ on a new machine when these older low houred combines can do just as much work in the field? We have two R-72s and last year we cut with some brand new 9770s in 75 bushel irragated wheat and out performed them in speed, grain loss, and cleanest sample. It almost made the old guy cry that our 1997 combines were doing a better job than his brand new ones.

It dosn't matter the color, to me it's the simpicity and design of the manufacturer. Also the price of the machine for what features and capacity you are paying for.

·
Registered
854 Posts
This is the best laugh I have had all winter.. hahahaha. There is no R65 or 2388 that will touch a 9770 sts in any crop or condition .. That is just absurd..They are lucky to be able to hang with a 9650 0r 9660 sts. We harvest 5000 acres of wheat,peas,lentils,barley,canola and flax straight with 36 foot headers and a 9770 sts and it is no comparison to my other family members 2388's nor my other family members R62.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You sound almost like me. I don't farm quite as much but my old Massey (860) is about shot. Dealer has a beautiful 9660 with an 8 row and 35 foot head. Alot more money and combine than I need (I think) but I am planning on expanding if the opportunity arises. Was looking to post a question about 9660's when your post caught my eye. Good luck, I'll be watching your post carefully to see what the guys who have 9660's say about them.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Atleast your going after the right model... if we did go green id buy a 9660 and chip it... its alot cheaper than buying the other two models up...

so good for you!! also it would be a good move to go to a rotor like that especially if your wanting to do more..

haha thats some 2388..... sounds like my 1480 that can run circles around cat combines...

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
ninety420, i agree that deere needs to increase the shoe size for their bigger combines. I've run a 9660 some in milo, and it would could cut a bit faster then my 2188, but not 120k dollars faster. As far as a 1680 out cutting 2 8820, the 8820 owner's(very green blooded) brother in law was helping him cut with a 1680 and the 8820 guy said he's sure his 2 machines didn't cut half of the wheat, so you tell me. An 8820 could keep up hp wise but in wheat in our area you'll put it all over they walker if you try.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
My 9660 has the HUR big augur and the touchset for the seive and chaffer. Whenever grandpa comes for a ride he just shakes his head. He can't beleive how easy we have it now as he can remember his first 55 and having to get out wrenchs to even adjust the concaves!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
In my opinion the 9660 hp. matches the capacity of the machine perfectly. It is probably the best class 6 out there. The 97's and 98's are just machines to fleece guys with. If you need a bigger machine then the 9660 don't buy a deere one as they are not any bigger and you will get a sick feeling in your stomach as you realize deere got your money. If Deere ever will make a combine with a bigger shoe and more threshing area then all the other advantages of owning a deere become relevent again. By the way I have a 9660sts and I love it. I do 2500 acres chasing 21-25ft swaths and the combine handles them very well.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
That being said after that rant. My next combine will probably be a 9770 because I could use more power. ar ar ar ar

1 - 20 of 36 Posts