The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to run some beans today and try to get all the small bugs outta the machines. First I had a stuck micro switch on the 30' 973 that kept forcing the header down. Now I have the unload auger stuck out... apparently she needs some grease. The light and buzzer for the stone door will go off now and then even though it is closed. Worst of all the warning system went out, came back on for a while then went out again for good. I have not rotor speed, fan speed, or any other lights there. The green normal light is off but the unload auger light is on. Ground speed works and I think engine speed. All the lights work when you press the test button. Oh, forgot about the alternator that keeps dropping out too, will go below 10 volts for a while then back to normal. Would appreciate any and all help on the warning system!

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
ah, lets see. how is your oil pressure? Dumb question, yes, but the power for your info sensor runs through an oil pressure sender found through the grain tank access door. Might have gone out or the wire got bumped. Wiring diagram in the book, but thats a good place to start. I disconnected it once by accident and though I had fried it all when welding -started looking at the diagram and checked a wire and that was my problem.

Alternator issue probably is just that -the alternator. Unless you have some serious load resulting from some of your electrical problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Light and buzzer for the stone trap is likely a frayed wire at the mercury switch on the trap. Replace.

I had a similar issue with the alternator and it was simple...replace and tighten alternator belt.

I hope you don't have mice damage causing your other electrical issues ...

On the header, make sure you keep all the debris out from under the arms that go to the terrain tracer switches.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Still thinking about your problem.

The alternator may be the root to the issue. If you're not making 12V then maybe there isn't enough juice to power your warning system.

Go for a simple AC Delco alternator and have the shop jumper it for you so it will run on your machine. The NH alt. for my TR86 was over $1000.00 the Delco was only $250

·
Registered
45 Posts
What model of TR are we talking about? I would check the main relay behind your seat. My TR99 had similar symptoms and replacing it fixed the problems that were very similar.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it may be the oil pressure wire after all. Started it yesterday and you don't get any warning system power until the engine builds pressure. I know for sure the micro switch is working and the relay is active as I can hear it click. I did notice the oil pressure was gone when the system went out. I just had to replace the oil pan gasket so maybe I left the oil pressure wire loose or it got bumped in the process. Ditto on the alternator... replaced the one on the TR86 several years ago. Shop wanted $500 to rebuild the original or $199 to trade for a one wire Delco... went the cheap route and may have to again. Will keep ya'll posted if I find the actual cure to the system failure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just because the relay is active and you can hear it click does not say power is getting across the contacts reliably. Not saying yours is faulty, but my combine had similar problems and a new relay fixed it. Relay was active as well. Hope you can get yours working reliably.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts