The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a new waste-oil heater sitting on the pallet still....good looking unit..:)....cannot find a 'barometric damper' like the heater's destruction manual says to obtain and install in the exhaust pipe...:confused:

I guess I could buy one online and have it shipped to me...but really?...I just paid off nearly everything I owed...including my credit card.

So I was curious if I could just use a regular butterfly damper for a wood stove?

What's so special about a barometric damper?...I've never even heard of such a thing until I read the destructions...

·
Registered
209 Posts
A barometric damper is also called a "stack switch". It detects the difference in pressure between ambient (the pressure in the room) and the exhaust stack. If the stack pressure is higher than the ambient pressure the switch remains open and the burner won't ignite. This is to prevent exhaust gasses from entering the space where the heater is located.

In theory, the butterfly does the same thing, it just won't prevent ignition if there isn't the predetermined amount of pressure differential. It's a safety feature, and required by code in some places. Since you probably aren't installing the waste oil heater in your house, let your conscience be your guide.

Mark

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Its really just a draft regulator. My waste oil heater had no call for a smoke switch, and a ordinary barometric damper has no way of stopping ignition.

What it will do is keep a steady draft and on a oil furnace keep from drawing to hard on the burner and wasting heat up the stack. You'll get the cost back easily in efficiency.

·
Registered
68 Posts
not trying to hi-jack the tread but, on the subject of waste oil heaters. Harold Electric, Papa Burn waste oil heater. The MOST simple, cost effective, machine out there. why would anyone spend so much on these fancy pants units when the papa burn is available. saw it at a farm show in oregon and have operated for over 2 years. awesome.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not trying to hi-jack the tread but, on the subject of waste oil heaters. Harold Electric, Papa Burn waste oil heater. The MOST simple, cost effective, machine out there. why would anyone spend so much on these fancy pants units when the papa burn is available. saw it at a farm show in oregon and have operated for over 2 years. awesome.

I googled that heater just now...that's badd-az!

M new unit wasn't all that expensive compared to some commercial units marketed. Less than $2500 and doesn't require any sophisticated installation...just need to buy a draft regulator doo-whacky and a few hunks of new stove-pipe. Then chunk my old wood-stove out the door and put the oil-furnace in place..put in oil and plug it in to 120v.

I'm not doing much else today...got some stove supply store numbers found so I'm going to call around and see if I can find a suitable damper/regulator thingybob anywhere close...try to get my heater running before it gets cold!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.