The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My booms are full of water after cleaning out the sprayer last night. I am loading up roundup now into the tank. How long do I have to run my sprayer on the end of the field to purge the booms of water and get roundup into them?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
My booms are full of water after cleaning out the sprayer last night. I am loading up roundup now into the tank. How long do I have to run my sprayer on the end of the field to purge the booms of water and get roundup into them?
That will vary between sprayers of every brand, size and boom length etc.

I put some blue dye in mine when cleaning the booms and zeroed the gallon meter. Then with the center 2 sections on, recorded the gallons until blue was at each nozzle. Next 2 sections after closing the first two, etc. Meter reading cumulative.

So cant tell you what your sprayer needs, but my 132' redballs take 7 gallons for the first two, then continue to 12 gal, then to 17 gal. At that point I am 99% sure I have full concentration into each section without loosing much.

·
Registered
868 Posts
This would be nice to know for every sprayer , cause we all spray out to much since you don't wanna have misses.
Maybe R&D can do the math and deliver it in manual.
I start spraying on head land and when close first round I hit override button , not sure how many second's I got it.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Mine takes 35 gallons to properly charge boom(133')!

If you open end caps run until solution is visible.

If these NA guys would get their act together and put re-circulating booms on like most of Europe then your boom would be charged and ready to go with no waste!:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be nice if the book said how long.

·
Super Moderator
587 Posts
Mine takes 35 gallons to properly charge boom(133')!

If you open end caps run until solution is visible.

If these NA guys would get their act together and put re-circulating booms on like most of Europe then your boom would be charged and ready to go with no waste!:)
I've always wondered if the re-circulating booms was worth it. I've only seen a few guys with them and they didn't really talk about it too much, so wasn't sure if it wasn't as nice or whether it was just something they were used to and didn't really talk it up much.

I'd think there might be a fair bit of a pressure drop within the boom, but maybe I just need to get my head around it a bit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got a Case sprayer with AIM and a retro fitted recirculate system and use at least 200 litres to prime the boom. This system has caught me out a couple of times by not allowing wing sections to prime completely, must remember, water takes path of least resistance, usually the centre sections are primed in 100 litres.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
This would be nice to know for every sprayer , cause we all spray out to much since you don't wanna have misses.
Maybe R&D can do the math and deliver it in manual.
I start spraying on head land and when close first round I hit override button , not sure how many second's I got it.
x2, seems to be the best way without over concentrating in one spot if done standing still. My Rogator 110' 1" plumbing takes about 15 gal until spray will foam on the ground if I am doing a static boom charge.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.