The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my situation....Have a new engine in a tractor with about 65 hours on it, the tractor has about 2500 hours on it. The tractor has been using antifreeze since the new motor was put in it. It has used over 30 litres already. I hauled the tractor into the dealer and they found out that the propeller on the water pump was not turning.

What do you guys think that this has done to the engine? The last time it was used it got hot and blew about 10 litres of coolant out. Before that it was just using it in small amounts as the tractor was just doing yard work and we couldn't see where the coolant was going.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
If things got hot enough, she boiled over and there was no circulation, the back end of the engine will have been quite warm. Normally with a rebuilt engine, it is the rear of the block or head where they will install those heat plugs which indicate overheat voiding warranty for that very reason. As usually are the temperature sensors as well.

Depends on engine and exactly how hot she got. Not sure who you're dealing with, situations like this can get sticky. An engine can take a fair amount of heat before things go south, but ultimately if there is an issue, whom ever is responsible for the improperly assembled or failed water pump is where the buck stops if there is other issues IMO.

Added question, is it a new or rebuild motor? And from who? If it was say from Deere, dam rights I'd make 'em tear it down and redo liner orings ect.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a brand new complete drop in motor from Deere.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would tell um new engine or I go red simple I know your die hard green guy but these dealers have gotta learn there lesson it shouldn't needed a new engine already JD motors are not what they used to be that for sure

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Was any of he coolant entering the oil pan or just been pushed out the radiator? If it has had coolant entering the oil pan I would push for a bearing roll.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
There is a good chance that its fine. But you bought a new engine so I think you should call them out. If they think your engine is as good as new they can drop it back in the production line and send you a new one. The quality control people will have a fit. Or you could negotiate a permenant warranty contract, it sounds like you might need it in 2500 hours anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, there is a 2 year/2000 hour warranty. We will probably only get 500 hours on the tractor at this rate in the next two years. So that is what I'm worried about. They didn't say if there was coolant in the oil or not.

I totally agree with you Haystack. I would be happy if they went with either of your ideas.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Do oil samples it will tell ya whats in the oil a new drop in engine should have a new water pump its usually even included in most major rebuilds as alberta buck says hold them to it if you suspect any problems get engine rebuilt or replaced again what is this engine in to fail at such low hrs? it must have been a bad one to begin with to fail at 2500 hrs

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
6.8L Deere in a MFWD tractor....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts