The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed a belt on one. Was wonder how to get the belt on. The part #on the belt is right, but seems way to short. There is no way to adjust the tension. Thinking if i could stretch it enough, the bearings will fail, again. :mad:

·
Registered
345 Posts
The shop manual says you just walk it on and it stretches. While I can't really understand these self tightening belts that use the stretch of the belt to stay tight it is what we have. I too can't see how a waterpump bearing can take it. But anyway you start the belt on and turn the waterpump pulley in that direction and it stretches the belt so you can just walk it on.

Gleaner done an update on the pulley and belt on my S-78 before harvest. A couple of men from Finland were here doing the updates on all the machines in the area and the engines on site in Hesston. They are the ones who explained this all to me. I still would rather have an alternator to use to tighten the belt!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I would suggest to replace gear driven pump with belt driven if any sign of coolant out of weep hole. Rod bearings have no tolarance for coolant. Oil testing can save engines. Any of the older SISU's in combines can have belt driven pump installed. Any sign of losing oil pressure would be sign of bearings getting tired. I have not seen any belt driven pumps fail. Instructions for installing belt are to start belt and clamp to pulley. Then turn engine to roll it on. Gleaner has a bulliton on belt driven pump and another bulliton for additional pulley needed if you have early enough machine to have the little pump the drives rotary screen.

·
Registered
345 Posts
mine went at 400 hours. I tried walking it on but no luck its tight
It could be that you still have the large waterpump pulley but they have given you the later belt for the smaller pulley. Better double check. Sounds to me like you have a mismatch.

When AGCO done the field change back in May I was shocked that the new replacement belts were not going to be available to dealers for parts stock until September. Therefore I kept my large pulley just incase I had a belt break. AGCO bigshot in Hesston told me if I had a belt break during harvest they could "special request" a replacement and have it to me in 48 hours.:rolleyes: Crap like that is what make a man consider a different color!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NDan I'm interested in these bulletins. Ridiculous is an understatement about that one bolt. Looks like the weep hole was plugged with crud, both bearings were toast. Was told by the service guy that there is only one belt.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
My dealer broke off a bolt that fastens my water pump to the block. So i guess its quite a bear, they didnt even drill out the busted bolt. Of course I was up their you know what to get my machine back since they had it for 4 days during the middle of harvest and thats how i finished up wheat harvest. Still have yet to get the bolt drilled out.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Appears GB is right. I went out and looked over a few machines. I find different P/N on pump between the S 7 series and S 8 series. Water pump looks very similar but pulley half inch larger on S 8. Belt P/N the same. I would hope if parts guys would look it up there would be foot note for longer belt. Otherwise one would have to use a pulley from S 7 if one could not get belt. Did you get proper number for belt so I could order one and have one hand? It does look like pump would come off the S 7 and S 8's more easy than R series. I find on R series that I can just back off the nut that holds fan pulley on and slide it off far enough so pump comes off easy. Hard to know this if never having a pump off though.

Pump kit to convert gear driven pump on R series to belt driven P/N V837079692. Add a P/N 700961443 if you have early machine with the belt driven hydraulic pump for the radiator rotary screen

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
My pump was on a 67 and nothing was easy. Sure did some cussing that day.
I see the rotor cover on the 78 is still a flimsy hinge that once you drop the cover the bolts don't line up as the hinges move. Must be a smart man who designed that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.