The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back when we thought we could spray any time soon what were guys doing for water volumes on roundup? I am at 4 gallons at 40-60 pounds pressure. I wouldn't mind going lower but guess I'd have to buy another set of nozzles. I'd love to be able to do a couple quarters on a tank but have never gone lower than 4.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Depends what you are trying to do. 3 gal is ok during spring burn off and fall post harvest if you are using good amount of ru and stubble is suitable. Bit if you are trying to penetrate canopies or high stubble then you should go higher. I usually spray second pass rr canola or beans at 7.5 gal.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I normally always at 4.0. But depending on field size and availability of water hauler, I've gone as low as 3.0 to get a field of 140 acres with my 400 gal tank. I don't like going that low however I've never had bad results when I did

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I can't believe how low you guys can go. Here we have to run 10 gpa to get good coverage/kill. Some other post sprays need 15 gpa. Cobra is label at a minimum of 20 gpa. I would love to run your rates and cover more acres per tank.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
With the right nozzles, 2.5 gpa is preferred with round up. RU is PH sensitive and doesn't like basic water. Our water is from 7 to 7.5 (RU works best with low PH) so the less water the better OR, you can add an acidic PH modifier to lower the PH. Having said all that, I spray almost all glyphosate at 5gpa and get excellent results without a PH modifier and I have/had (1 passed away a few years ago) two customers that request low water volumes (2.5gpa) and have always had excellent results with low water volumes. As a matter of fact, I convinced a friend of mine to let me do preseed burn at 2.5 gallons and he said it worked so well that he feared it might hurt the canola if sprayed in crop at that water rate. I've never sprayed <5gpa for pre harvest.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
In crop I spray between 4-5 gallons depending on field size (to get one field per tank). Burn off and desication I have sprayed as low as 2 gallons but you need the right tips to get that low. Never tried in crop as I heard it may hurt the crop( and from the results I have seen it might). One problem with that low of vol is you need very small tips so have more pluging problems if your water isn't clean. Drift could also be an issue in summer with the fine droplets from those tips. Not usually a problem in early spring and fall.

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
wow, 2gpa? how much RU are you putting down per acre. I spray at 4.5gpa now and use 32oz with AMS at 7.7lbs/100gal, and surfactant at a 1 pint per 100. I also use teejet AIXR tips to help avoid drift. This is for fallow.

Preseed spraying is a much lower rate, 16-20oz depending on weeds. I spray at 4gpa for this with xr tips. Drift is not much of a concern for preseed.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the responses. If the water recedes I may jump into a smaller nozzle and try 2.5 just for the fun of it. With all the water laying around the field it seems a shame to add too much more !

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
run the aim system on the patriot, gary moffet had a course a few years back at the farm show, he said that 3.5 gallons is fine for most applications, and never over 7.5gpa with fungicides, with the aim....been doing that now for years and it works fine

allows me to do 350acres per tank

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.