The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
have one, works ok. allot of work dragging it back out of the pot hole after pumping though... thing is heavy and you are in the mud. if you have a lot of wet spots I would consider the water canon that is tractor powered

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
Great for us that have to pump once every 5 or 8 years. Nice because you can move the water a long distance without much work (just plastic pipe that is easily collapsed and rolled). We usually put an extra Jerry can on top for fuel and get 12 or 14 hours out of a tank. You need a piece of cardboard or puckboard or a toboggan and a long rope attached to it. Load the pump up and pull it out with a quad.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I bought one the year they put a moratorium on drainage in our area, so I haven't used it much. But yes, it is a royal pain handling the thing. They are fast, and do a good job, but as mentioned if you gotta move it much, make some sort of system to make it easier.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Great for us that have to pump once every 5 or 8 years. Nice because you can move the water a long distance without much work (just plastic pipe that is easily collapsed and rolled). We usually put an extra Jerry can on top for fuel and get 12 or 14 hours out of a tank. You need a piece of cardboard or puckboard or a toboggan and a long rope attached to it. Load the pump up and pull it out with a quad.

We used 3 or 4 to drain areas of irrigated Timothy.

We rigged up 5 gallon plastic pails with really long fuel lines. The 5 gallon pail was set at the side of the low spot so you could refill it without going into the water. There was usually enough elevation drop to where the pump was running to keep enough head pressure to the carb. If needed we put the fuel pail up on a small square bale so it was higher.

Pump capacity was more effected by how much elevation it had to pump up to discharge than the actual length of run. Sometimes we were pumping it 500 - 700 feet with only 5 feet of head to push up - lots of capacity. Sometimes it was 150 feet with 20 feet of head and was much slower.

·
Registered
333 Posts
We use one for some of our sloughs. It is a bit of a pain to move around, but other pump options also have their drawbacks. I don't no specs on how much water it moves, but it is an impressive amount IMO.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx bought one will be using it this spring 24-7 unfortunately. here in eastern sask we will be swamped. still have running creeks and open water with -35 temps.

·
Registered
747 Posts
i have one...they can move water for sure! impressive really for a relatively small contraption. Put a larger fuel tank on it. I set an old fuel tank from a wore out lawn tractor on a small welding table beside the pump, that way I can anchor the pump to the table...otherwise it may float to a shallower part of the slough. I usually dig a hole under where the pump will sit to.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
larger fuel tank will be done along with anchor method hope one pump is enough with the mess we are facing this spring. thanx everyone for the positive response on the watermaster

·
Registered
273 Posts
Had a really wet year in 05 and dad insisted on pumping pot holes so us BOYS did as we were told for 3 weeks then one night 4in of rain fell and everything full again. Told the old man the next time the words water and pump come out of his mouth in the same sentence he would find himself in an unpleasant predicament. The ground is so saturated that pumping is just futile unless it is to save your home.

·
Registered
320 Posts
kris, good comments as I have had the same thing happen to me. The pumps are good for small puddles in the yard but for field use buy a tractor driven high volume pump.

F

·
0 Posts
What are you guys using to repair the holes you get in the hose? I see the have some sort of tape.... any other tapes work?
Depending on the size of the hole I take and cut a piece of hose about 2 foot long and slide it over the hose to the point of the leak and it stops the majority of the water from coming out the hole. I have tried the tape, but the hose needs to be dry and clean for it to stick the best, not something that happens that often when pumping water in the field.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Hi would that pump , push water 900 ft at 4 ft head ?
I am pretty sure it will. I have pumped using the full 400 feet in a roll of the 6" hose and it moves a lot of water. 900 feet would be a little slower but only 4' head should still be a decent flow. Warm those motors up and cool them down and change their oil often ( twice a day) and they will do a lot of work for you.

On that 900 foot run, could you make a V ditch and let the water run. Those long runs are a lot of work laying hose and if the wind comes up and rolls the hose into a knot it is a real PITA and usually causes holes in the hose. I sometimes make a ditch to get the water to run to a sump. Then close to the sump put in a dam or a road grade and then just pump the water over the grade with a 30' piece of hose. Quick and easy and don't even need rubber boots!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it will work. the hose comes in 400ft. rolls so when you connect them make sure you insert one inside the other overlap them at least 10ft. or they will come apart or leak bad.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Instead of pissing around with hoses and jerry cans install a Warthog auxiliary fuel tank. Do you guys leave your hose in 400' length or cut it in more manageable lengths?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts