The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at putting a webasto on my tractor that is used on the bag extractor. The timer can only be set to run to 2 hrs at a time, doesnt work very good when you get to a terminal and there is a lineup, get back to bag hour later then suppost to. See you can also use a switch to turn them on, are they able to run for 12 hrs at a time. Would be nice if timer could be set to run for 4 hrs at a time thnks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Webasto's work very well and usually only a hour of run time is needed, so if u set it to come on a hour before u intend to arrive tractor will start, but if your a hour late it will have just shut off and you will still be good.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Proheats can be set to maintain engine temperature until the voltage drops below 10V or something like that, I'd be surprised if you can't do that with a Webasto. On the coil rigs we built I installed Proheats to maintain water temperature in the water tanks just above freezing, I used thermostats from cattle waterers to control the Proheats.

Another option is using remote control through cell towers, I'm sure someone can chime in regarding that. If it's a newer John Deere they claim they can monitor the whole tractor through JD Link do they leave room for an output or two? Then you can start it whenever your about an hour out.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Use a 2090 case tractor, have a generator on the extractor now to run block heater and pan heater. Have to drive there and start the generator in the morning before I want to haul. All depends on temp but I guess if webasto ran for 2 hours and time expired for an hour or so could run it for 15 min before starting tractor. Have to look into a proheat.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Seen on proheat website timer can be set for up to 9 hrs of run time. That would definitely be sufficient. Only thing is doesnt say if you canget a timer for the m series, the x45 heater looks to be the cadilac of engine heaters.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I put the largest size webasto on my mx120. It's a 5.9 Cummins in there. At -30 it will warm the engine to the set cut out temp in 15 min. It would start after 5 min. That's is after sitting for days. I love it. It can run 5 or 6 hours without drawing the battery down too much. Leaving it on all night draws the battery down to the 10v cut off and doesn't leave enough juice to crank but that doesn't matter much because it warms up so quick. That way if it is out on the field hooked to a bag I can drive up, flip a switch and have it started quickly. I put a small heater on my semi and leave that one on all night and it starts good. Actually forgot it on for 2 days and the truck still started.

I never bothered with a timer. Made it a little cheaper that way.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I am looking at putting a webasto on my tractor that is used on the bag extractor. The timer can only be set to run to 2 hrs at a time, doesnt work very good when you get to a terminal and there is a lineup, get back to bag hour later then suppost to. See you can also use a switch to turn them on, are they able to run for 12 hrs at a time. Would be nice if timer could be set to run for 4 hrs at a time thnks.
When mine is sitting out in the open and I don't know exactly when I'll be back I set the timer to run for 2hrs, off for 1/2-1 hour (depending on weather) then back on for 2 hours. IIRC you can set up for 4 runs per day.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
The smallest versions of these propane circulating heaters burn less than 4 ounces per hour and don't put a demand on the battery. The little one might not be enough in a high windchill. IDK. It should be about the same as a 1500 watt electric.

Block Heater

That's pretty cool, do you run any of these?

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts

The smallest versions of these propane circulating heaters burn less than 4 ounces per hour and don't put a demand on the battery. The little one might not be enough in a high windchill. IDK. It should be about the same as a 1500 watt electric.

Block Heater

What are these like to get started when it's cold and windy? They look like they would work well on a stationary application.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
I don't have a propane powered one. Under normal circumstances I always have ready access to electricity. I should have had one last winter though. My hired help couldn't catch up hauling feed until we resorted to leaving a tractor running all night. On a very cold night with a high windchill the coolant congealed in the radiator. When the wind dropped off the engine boiled and ruined the head gaskets.

I do have a somewhat similar unit for heating livestock water. You need a propane soldering torch to get enough preheat into the mechanism to get it lit and keep the pilot flame adjusted fairly high so it doesn't blow out.

These are an old idea that fell by the wayside. I just discovered this manufacturer.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
The old school version of these just had a throttling valve like a barbaque. I would think these are a thermostatically controlled burner, just like an RV hot water heater. That's the way the stock water heater is designed.

If that's the case, the medium size is likely the better option. It shouldn't use much more fuel to maintain the same temperature but would have the capacity to heat up quicker if something went wrong. 5000 btu vs 7000btu for the medium unit.

(Edit)
Looking at the photo closely though, I think it might be a simple throttled burner with an electric igniter button. However it does have a copper tube and a thermal bulb, so I'm guessing the thermostat shaft just doesn't have a knob on it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Next time you see an air cooled Duetz from the 70's buy it. All you need then is a can of cheap ether and synthetic 0w40 oil in the crank case. We have an old 100-06 that starts no matter the temperature without secondary heat. Only problem is the cab heater doesn't work. Have been abusing it for the last twenty years and when it dies I'll go out and buy another $5000 Duetz. Beats putting hard hours on a good tractor.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Pro heat timers work fine on webasto heaters, they can be manually activated longer than the webaso heaters plus you can program them to turn on every morning at a certain time vs setting each day independantly with webasto's. Diesel heaters pay for themselves big time, motors start easier with 30 minutes with a webasto than 3 hours with a block heater.

Glover International in calgary usually has deals on them around this time of the year for $750-800.

you want to make sure you have good, healty batteries if you are having the heater run for hours at a time when it is really cold.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.