The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having an issue with horsetail, milkweed and canada thistle. Liberty seems to control them pretty good in canola but in the cereals there doesn't seem to be much that works especially for the horsetail. Thinking about tilling up the bad areas this fall to see if that helps. Have been told that tillage spreads horsetail around but chemicals don't seem to have any effect. I'm about out of ideas so anyone suggestions from people with experience will be appreciated.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Corteva's chemical Halauxifen works well on horsetail for us. Turns them black. It is found in Pixxaro and Paradigm.
Roundup seems to be more like a fertilizer though.
Canada thistle is a fall application of roundup at high rates to get decent control. Ideally post harvest if conditions allow. Which sure haven't for us the past few years.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Fall spraying is going to be the most cost effective way to control those weeds.

I don't know what it is but this year the group 4 chems aren't working as well as normal. Too much rain, too cool? idk

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Group 4 are growth regulators. They need good growing conditions to work fast, but they will still work.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Horsetail, As stated use Pixxaro or Paradigm, smokes it dead. Full rate and all our patches are done for, however it does seem to still come back the following year. Thankfully it's not competitive. Do not till it, it is a creeping root from what I have been told and tillage will only spread it around, it also has spores supposedly but not sure on that one.

Post harvest to control thistle is the only real way to control it, otherwise you are just bandaiding the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone have any experience with amitrol? According to my 2019 crop protection guide it was registered to kill horsetail but Nufarm has stopped making it, did they come up with a replacement?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts