The Combine Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
5,977 Posts
If you were continuous cropping instead of summerfallowing, would it still be of value to you?

Local hutterite colony is running Weedit for burnoff (they have no summerfallow) and they feel it is worthwhile, although they were burning off every single acre every year over thousands of acres, whereas I only have 2600 acres and I only spray glyphosate burn mixes on maybe 30% of that each year. The hutterite sprayer guy I talked to said they have used the green-on-green capability for certain weeds in crop with success.

· Registered
463 Posts
If you were continuous cropping instead of summerfallowing, would it still be of value to you?

Local hutterite colony is running Weedit for burnoff (they have no summerfallow) and they feel it is worthwhile, although they were burning off every single acre every year over thousands of acres, whereas I only have 2600 acres and I only spray glyphosate burn mixes on maybe 30% of that each year. The hutterite sprayer guy I talked to said they have used the green-on-green capability for certain weeds in crop with success.
For me it probably would not be worth it. I fallow nearly half my acres every year and that's where the real savings are for me. If you don't fallow I could see it still being very useful for post-harvest burndown. Its going to depend on how many acres you are going to be able to run the thing over though. The increased costs of herbicides has really shifting the economics of technology like this over the past couple years.

· Registered
4,842 Posts
I have a lot of interest in these systems. Burn off in spring and than fall spray. Deeres system will have dual tank/boom also, sort of like flexicoil system from the past, that would open lots of options also. Especially when green on green happens.
This past spring and fall, we would have saved huge money I think.

· Premium Member
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
DId Deere come out with a new system. Last system I heard about was a few cameras looking for green. Did not work nearly as good as Weed it. Could not use in dark. Wheelers did use it. Somewhat mixed rumors floating around.

Torgerson's was working with a company making selective spraying system. Augmenta. They say 25% savings. Around $18,000. Information from an email I received a few months ago.

· Super Moderator
614 Posts
Here is a quick walk around of my system, its not totally complete, I'm still waiting on some wiring harnesses and some plumbing fittings. Any input or suggestions will be appreciated!
Setup looks clean.

For the narrower angle nozzle request (30°). We've been working through stuff on our side a fair bit, and found that the smaller the nozzle (especially if it is a drift reduction nozzle), the tougher it is for the nozzle to apply consistently in the desired pattern. For sizes <02, around the 20°-25°, it starts to have a good chance to stream instead of spray in a nice clean pattern. For a 30° in an -02 size, probably wouldn't be too bad, but it'd be something as far as a limitation of flat fan and even fan nozzles in those sizes, with the drift reduction throwing another wrench in the mix.

For the harnesses down to the nozzle, if the zip-tying was going to be causing grief since you have a bit of span there, we did just make new tooling to have a boom clamp that provides a bolt-mount to it, that might be helpful in keeping things taut enough without chancing wrecking for your wiring. At least then you'd have a common platform (1/4" bolt) for a whole lot of cable ties and such.
Facial expression Sleeve Audio equipment Font Headgear

Its nothing too crazy special and there'd be alternatives out there, but given the importance of the harnessing, might be worth looking at over zip ties.

For the weedit sensor locations, is it fairly easy to modify individual sensor distances? Thinking of the two that are sandwiched between the frame up front, is the look-ahead for individual sensors editable? And you mentioned there is a MAX distance to follow, which seems a bit odd as it'd just be a longer look ahead. Seems like something that would be easy enough to change, but I get the system works better with them relatively closer in turning situations/etc to minimize misses.

I like the boom layout. We've worked with Croplands for the 10" boom kits, and yeah, it is tight for sure. If it does become too much grief, there is always the option to add a boom end nozzle body as well. I know some of them would shorten that a great deal. Probably not so much an issue on a 67XL as it is wide open in the back, but WAY more important for guys who are installing on a pommier/millenium/specialty boom. The amount of cross bar structures and frame thickness makes it a nightmare on 10" spacing, which means a lot of remote nozzle bodies which I kind of hate.

For that specific tight spot, this is a new part that should be available in the next little bit that we designed for that narrow spacing recirc sprayer section as well. The solenoid would then go either OUT, or IN depending on which elbow you set up. The clamp built-in is a Wilger only clamp, but we do make a triple body with teejet outlets if that was a need. (Only the solenoid would have to be the Wilger WEEDIT solenoid thought, as the module threads between manufacturers is different)
Camera accessory Cameras & optics Optical instrument Font Auto part

I might worry about the tubing for the tie-back recirc side of things, but I figured you'd maybe be doing that temporarily? Just a bit of kink in the line that the hose wouldn't like eventually. Probably just swap the fittings to a flanged tee with two 90s pointing up to sort that out. I'd imagine there might be some merit to having that tee as a sweep tee to clean up the flow path a bit as well.
Bicycle part Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Titanium
Hood Gesture Bumper Automotive exterior Window

All in all, looks good. I have heard good things about the helix filters for sure, just a bit $$, but probably worth it in the long run. What would a filter of that size cost nowadays, do you remember?

· Registered
463 Posts
Setup looks clean.
Thanks for the feedback! I’ve definitely noticed and appreciated Wilger’s willingness to innovate, improve, and bring to market useful products. If it wasn’t for the fact that TeeJet is so ubiquitous in my area I would definitely use more of your stuff.

It’s interesting to hear about the technical challenges of making a narrow angle nozzle. The 40 degree nozzles are less of a concern for me now that I am not going to be using the wind screens and can run the boom lower. I do feel like a 30 degree nozzle would be the sweet spot for a WeedIt system in general though.

Your suggestion for the kink in the recirculating line is definitely something I’m going to do. I have a spring in there that is supposed to keep it from kinking, but you can see how well that is working.

I like your solutions to the close spacing at the boom ends issue. I think I have it figured out how I’m going to deal with that but it’s good to know what my other options are and it may be useful for the next guy who is setting up a WeedIt.

I think I paid $435 US for the Helix filter, which isn’t cheap, but 200 nozzles screens isn’t much less and if I can avoid dealing with those darn things that’s totally worth something to me.

· Super Moderator
614 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! I’ve definitely noticed and appreciated Wilger’s willingness to innovate, improve, and bring to market useful products. If it wasn’t for the fact that TeeJet is so ubiquitous in my area I would definitely use more of your stuff.

I think I paid $435 US for the Helix filter, which isn’t cheap, but 200 nozzles screens isn’t much less and if I can avoid dealing with those darn things that’s totally worth something to me.
Good stuff. Yeah, no shame is using Teejet parts either. As long as it works and doesn't hold you back, (y). And I was probably tooting my own horn too much for some of the parts, but I'd reckon the Banjos/Teejets/etc would have most of the alternative parts as well.

We try do some of the neat stuff that might not sell a million parts, but should serve to be the next step forward for some of these system improvements that everyone can get around.

For the filter, that is better than I thought. I thought I remember a custom applicator in Alberta showing me pictures of his water tender and he had bigger filter (I was pretty sure it was a 'helix' filter), but it was a larger stainless frame/mount, and was a LOT more expensive than that. Looking at it now, it might have been something more along the lines of a thompson filter.
Cylinder Gas Nickel Auto part Machine

I'm curious as well, what kind of pressure are you thinking of using when recirculating? I noticed some disparity between the weedit/recirc systems in Australia and North America. For some reason, some in AUS are recircing at like 110PSI or something like that, but I'd probably see more folks in NA recircing around like ~50PSI

· Registered
5,977 Posts
Other making it happen quicker I don't see any advantage to the higher pressures for recirculating. And some of the systems always recirculate when the booms are off, changing the valve direction when actually spraying. Can't see bumping the pressure for that to be advantageous. Personally I only ever recirculate my booms after loading, or after the machine has sat for an hour or more. My booms only recirculate one or two sections at a time (I do it in pairs of sections), and I use just a 3/4" return line. typically I get about 25 gpm at 60 psi, which is fast enough for me to completely circulate everything a couple sections at a time while I'm driving to the field. Was going to use 1" but the 3/4" lines were easier to work with. I think I tried to make it so that as far as the pump was concerned the back pressure was the equivalent to spraying out of my medium nozzles. Don't think it matters that much, though.

· Premium Member
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I have 30 deg nozzles that Agritech sold me. I really like them for anything I have done so far. Been doing stuff around 8gpa and spray paraquat mix up to almost 20gpa. At 8 mph. They worked good for all of it. 40-80psi. Odd brand I had not heard of. magnojet 30-030

· Super Moderator
614 Posts
I have 30 deg nozzles that Agritech sold me. I really like them for anything I have done so far. Been doing stuff around 8gpa and spray paraquat mix up to almost 20gpa. At 8 mph. They worked good for all of it. 40-80psi. Odd brand I had not heard of. magnojet 30-030
Good stuff. Magnojet is a South American nozzle manufacturer that is new to the NA market.

Any rough idea with your height what your overlap looks like with the 30°?

· Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I like everything I see here except the cost. How many years do you think it will take to recoup your investment in terms of chemical dollars saved? With glyphosate around the $15 CAD/litre mark, some burn-off applications could be as much as $30/ac. That adds up. I don't do any summerfallow so most of my glyphosate use is in crop, but a fair amount of spring and fall burn off.

Does weedit do turn compensation with the PWM?
Ours covered over 10k acres this fall and the savings completely have paid for the system already, just on fall burn.

· Premium Member
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I will be very curious is it handles the as applied mapping. Let us know when you get it all going.

My trimble 1260 monitor just arrived today, didn't even get time to open the box yet. I was using a beta one they sent out for testing. I guess that is what it was. Most the year I was using a GFX-750.

For anyone reading I had mentioned the 1260 comes with centerpoint correction service. I was corrected and wrong. A nav 900 antenna comes with a year of centerpoint. There is an $800 special pricing for centerpoint at the moment. Normally around $1800/year. Better check on all that with your dealer if you are planning on going this route.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts