The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My google searching isn’t easily finding that answer. Looking for tandem grain truck. Found an 04 9200 IH, 435 ISM, 18 sd, 14 front, 46 rears full lockers. Just trying to figure out how much heavier it’ll be than other truck.
12 M2 FL, 350 Cummins , Allison 3500, 14 f, 40 rears full lockers.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For a tandem truck the Allison transmission is sure nice. Easy starting in soft fields. Don't need the heavy duty rears in my opinion, with way less shock load on the drive line with the Allison.
Wasn’t very clear on original post but was trying to figure weight difference between the IH I was looking at and the truck we already own with the Allison.

Agree the Allison is great and really like one we got but isn’t in the budget for this second truck. Can’t find one anyway except for the odd one with 3208 or 466 which not interested in.

Think I gotter figured. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
We just took the box off our old Bruin that was a grain truck for 30-35 years, 22 foot box, dff lock only. It only had a 34 or 36 thousand rear end, not one issue with it, just completely wore out on all ends. Was a Hutt truck before I bought it, it was likely over loaded 75 percent of the time. I think heavy specs for a grain truck are over rated, it's all in how you drive it. High horsepower and hired workers are a bad mix.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
Typically trucks with 46000 rear ends often are heavier all around. The 18 speed, heavier front end, heavier rear ends, heavier drive shafts, full lockers, possibly heavier frame, etc all will add to more weight compare to the other truck with a automatic. I personally would never buy a truck with 46,000 rear ends for a tandems. It is such a over kill on a truck that has to be light to haul any amount of grain legally. You would be best to look for a light tridrive truck with a 22 ft box. We have one and wish all our tandems were tridrives. Our tridrives weighs around 11,200 kg depending on how much fuel is in it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you plan on pulling a quad wagon around the 46 would be nice. You don’t see a light tridrive around very much. I think there is 500kg difference in weight between 40 and 46. I like the super 40 with kw 8bag. Everything is weld on the axle. The 8 bag probably ain’t the best for a tandem.

·
Registered
491 Posts
My google searching isn’t easily finding that answer. Looking for tandem grain truck. Found an 04 9200 IH, 435 ISM, 18 sd, 14 front, 46 rears full lockers. Just trying to figure out how much heavier it’ll be than other truck.
12 M2 FL, 350 Cummins , Allison 3500, 14 f, 40 rears full lockers.
46 rears are usually in heavy hail rigs that stateside are north of 100l lbs. we use to haul crude with triple ax trailers and tractors. They had 46k rears and 18sp trannies. Our sand trucks all had 40k rears because they were never over 80k. If I got to buy a new truck for farm work I’d get the 18speed Pete’s we used for crude with heavy rears and fronts. Loved going thru gears with them loaded or unloaded and had faith she was built like a tank:)
I won’t be buying a new farm truck anytime soon or ever but if I did I buy the big one for longevity.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Our new tandems have the 16 fronts and 46 rears.
Our opion the Large tires on the front are awesome as the front sinks way less than the rear when loaded in these spring conditions..Trucks have the 8.3 cummins..

·
Super Moderator
3,056 Posts
Those usually are Allison, nice truck!
Assume they are not called FL-80 anymore, like my 23 year old truck?
What hoist?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Called the L9 now which is apparently a stroked version of 8.3 rated up to 350 hp.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts