The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
you guys ever get your machines to decelerate when an opperator throttles back or do the machines continue to free wheel...
Also have you moved the throttle to a foot pedal and hand throttle set up like most tractors to make it easier to use. Then making the boom controler more ridgid with shifting funtions on the joystick?
It would also help to have a hydric or even mechanical 4x4. I am sure there are ways to do it, and its not like ur machines have the highest clearance. I am sure some guys would give up a few more inches for an independant front suspension with fwd... Hey we knlw u can update your cab, but it still sucks compared to the rest of the competition, come up with something they dont have.
Yeah sorry it may not be the nicest, but its what is see. I havent been in the newest machines, but on wisconsin these machines are not very safe to operate.

I dont have the best oppinion, but there is alot of truth to it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi 8850jd
I agree with you, Apache sprayers appear to have some safety issues, this I have witnessed first hand on two occasions , the first being my front left spindle broke and the front axle fell to the ground burying itself about a foot into a hard gravel road (luckily I was backing up slowly so I didn't go through the windshield or worse yet end over end")
The second time was this past August when I drove down the road to a field (loaded with 1000 gallons of spray solution). (Luckily I never drive this AS1010 faster than 12 mph, "PERIOD", because I am fearful of going "END OVER END" if any of the steering and suspension components break. As I entered the field I happened to back up to get into a tight corner when suddenly my front axle leaned forward at about a 45 degree angle. I drove ahead very slowly to push the axle back to vertical, got out and found that the main pivot pin on the front axle had "BROKEN IN HALF" and the rear part of the pin fell out on the ground.
I can imagine that if the axle had fallen off the machine there would not have been much left of my AS1010 as the nose would have slammed into the ground from a height of about 50". The only fix for this problem is to buy the complete centre section of the front axle for $2149.00 plus freight because the pin is welded into the axle. I called the factory and my usual contact Jeremy Hurt gave me the brush off and had some "junior clerk" who did not understand the seriousness of the problem give me the "corporate " brush off. He said they have about a 3% failure rate on front axle components and he felt that was a very low failure rate. "Lol"
I understand the newer machines (mine is an '07 AS1010) now have a 3' diameter pin vs 2.25" on my machine thus I would say the factory by increasing the diameter of the pin is acknowledging a problem with the previous design. So much for building the lightest sprayer on the market, by the time they "beef up" all the things that break because they were made too light the machine will be as heavy as a "JD".
They had already admitted previously that the front spindles were welded incorrectly which lead to metal fatigue in the lower area of the spindles.
I have looked at the new AS1020 and I don't think it is built sufficiently stronger than the "1010" that I would take a chance on a second Apache.
My AS1010 had about 1900 hr on it when the front spindle broke. If anyone has an AS1010 with significant hours on it and "IF" you have not done the spindle update I would strongly suggest to have the spindles replaced or at least magnufluxed to detect cracks in the metal. At 2500 hr my pivot pin failed. I did not buy the new axle that Apache supplies because they haven't assured me that they have improved the type of material that they make their pins out of, so I purchased "4140" quality material and had a local welder (machinist too) who knows metallurgy as well replace the pin. Keep me posted on failures of front suspension pieces if you survive the wreck. One last note, At no time did the factory ever call me to suggest that I have a spindle update or that 3% of the machines they were selling were having failure issues with the front suspension components.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Had a 790 that broke both spindles while spraying at 15mph after the first one i started wearing the seat belt as the steering wheel in the chest didnt feel very good. lucky the ground was soft and the axel was able to go into the ground. This year the booms started falling apart so it was time it went down the road.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi Duane
I too wear my seat belt all the time but there was a fellow on another forum who said when his spindle broke the machine dug in the ground which resulted in the chemical tank coming thru the cab and pushing him out thru the windshield, so sometimes I wonder if the seat belt may have caused even worse injuries under some conditions.

·
Registered
399 Posts
When my front axle pivot broke it was right during pre harvest round up application. I still had to spray about 1700 acres of wheat which would have taken at worst about 2 days. I had wanted to test an "Apache AS 1020 with the "SHARP SHOOTER" system so I went to my local dealer and asked if I could "RENT" an Apache with this system in order to get done spraying. (they had a demo machine on their lot that I had been pestering them for a demo on since April of last year). The answer was "NO" but we will give you a 4 hour demo if you want. About 5 min after I got off the phone I called John Deere who had a "4730" sprayer on sight the next morning. They road with me for about 2 hours and covered all aspects of spraying, loading the tank, Deerstar, etc etc.
I know what brand I'm buying when I park the Apache in the fence line .
I really wonder sometimes why the factory spends so much money on advertising when they can't seem to ensure consistent quality service across their dealer network.
P.S. After everything was froze up and dormant for the year this same dealer called to see if I wanted to demo an NEW HOLLAND sprayer. I wonder what he had in the tank, VODKA!
Lol , If I want to "JUST DRIVE AROUND" I'll jump in my pickup truck and go for a spin.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We had an 859 we bought new in '04, it rode nice and the John Deere engine ran great, but there was a lot of problems with being built too light. The one thing I thought they needed was a second hydraulic pump just to run the booms. When you would slow down to cross a drainage ditch, or if you were too close to a fence and tried to slow down and lift your booms at the same time, the pressure pump would rob all of the hydraulic power and the booms would lift really slow. We went to a deere and wouldn't go back now, after all the ruts and mud we have been through the last 2-3 years that apache would be in a thousand pieces.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Bought a new 4730 this fall never got time to use it but looking forward to spring. My old 790 was a good sprayer other than axles breaking had 3200hrs on it when it left.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I ran the 4730 for about 3 days in total b/c I took on some new land for next year and it is a great machine, you won't be disappointed. Much smoother ride than my AS1010. For example if you hit a rut in the middle of nowhere at 12mph with the Apache those booms get whipped straight up and then the tips come crashing down so hard that I think they are going to fold up, then those adjustment bolts start penetrating the ends of the booms and after that the boom tips start sagging. The 4730 just floats over the ruts with no boom whipping up and down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Apaches are sweet little machines our 2013 As1020 has 400 hours on it and never had any problems besides ripped a boom off but that was cause the auto height screwed up and Triag covered most of it, 2wd will go a lot of places but we still have got it stuck three times, U get a lot of bang for your buck with this machine if I was a huge custom operator I'd still run Apaches

1 - 12 of 12 Posts